1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RM 65

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by kenessex, Jan 25, 2015.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I have a student here at our boarding school with an RM 65 that has a bad crank and trashed cylinder. Does anybody have a used motor or some good parts to help her get this bike back together?

Right now I am looking at getting her cylinder sleeved and using a Wiseco piston kit and a Wiseco crank kit. Does this seem like the right way to go? This is just a play bike for a 15 yo girl. She wants to do the work herself, so I will just be showing her what to do while she handles the wrenches most of the way. It will be interesting.

Thanks,
    Ken

2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of OEM pistons in two strokes. Why the wiseco?

3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

The Wiseco top end kit is just what I've been seeing. For the sake of convenience it comes with all the gaskets and o-rings and such. Given the intended use as a playbike, I doubt the brand or cast vs forged will make much difference, but if you have reasons why stock would make a difference I won't let my ignorance stand in the way of getting the right parts. Cost is a factor in this project. The kid wants to pay for all the parts herself and she doesn't have any money other than what she makes working in the dining hall. That is why we are interested in the possibility of good used parts, too.

Ken

4. kevinnolde

kevinnolde kandjracingsolutions.com

I agree with you on the basic all around goodness of the OEM 2 stroke piston Nigel. We will be doing a back to back comparo on OEM and Wiseco in a KX 65 this year. The crank kits sure are cheap these days with the price of internet parts.

5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Please don't send your boy down the Nola straight with a wiseco in the motor! In my experience, the forged piston is not to be trusted in a road racing application. A few more bucks for oem is still cheaper than engine seizures, crash repairs, and broken kids. I speak from experience.