1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rivnut removal

Discussion in 'General' started by kosta, Apr 25, 2014.

1. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

Have a rivnut in a subframe that just spins. Can't really grab the flange with anything and of course a drill won't do any good. Is there a trick to getting these things out? Only thing I can think of now is to grind the flange off and let it drop in to forever rattle around.

2. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Which kind of rivnut is it? Are the rivets separate from the thread nut, or is the threaded nut just squeezed into the hole? If the later, you can get the tool to tighten it down. Harbor Freight sells one, I'm sure you can get a nicer version somewhere else. If it's the separate rivets from the nuts, you maybe stuck with grinding the head off.

3. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Two things you can do, get the tool and fix the one that is there. Or thread a bolt in halfway and give it a few good smacks hoping to straighten it enough to get it out. But that might just break the edge off then it will be stuck inside but at least on a bolt.

4. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Drill the threads from a nut of a correct size.
    Slide correct bolt (allen head works best bevause it fit inside the wrench) through. Hold nut with wrench and tighten bolt.
    This will tighten erythang.

5. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

If it is the "expanding flange" style, you don't need any special tools.
    You just need a bolt and a nut of the correct size to thread into the
    rivet nut.

Thread the nut all the way onto the bolt.
    Thread the bolt through the rivet nut.
    Hold the bolt with a wrench.
    Turn the nut into the rivet nut with a wrench.
    This will crush the rivet nut, hopefully enough to make it work properly again.

6. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

The way you're saying makes the nut turn against the flange. My way uses the nut to hold the rivnut still and simply pulls it. It's more like the installation tool.

7. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

I guess I should have read the replies before posting.
    Either way will work just fine, accomplishing the same thing.
    I just don't bother with drilling out the nut to suit different flanges.

8. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I will try it....only thing is I can't get a bolt threaded in because the silly thing just spins. Will try to figure out a way to hold it.

9. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

A bit of a hack solution, but, have you thought of using something like JB Weld to keep the rivnut from spinning...even if just temporarily?