1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Joe and a suggestion - EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by RoadracerR123, Jan 6, 2009.

1. RoadracerR123

RoadracerR123 Well-Known Member

First of all, I would like to say RIP to Joe.

It makes me sad but also infuriates me that something like this could even happen. From this incident I have an idea and want everyone's thoughts.

Should race fees be increased 2-5 dollars per race to be donated to Airfence or other safety initiatives???????.

I know people already complain about fees, but seriously, how many incidences like Joe's will it take before we take actions into our own hands?

I know that probabilities are slim in many circumstances but all is take is one unforeseen mishap to occur for us to loose a friend and fellow racer.

I am sure all of you can think of places where there is not adequate runoff.

What if you lost in in turn two (big sweeper) at Fontana.... or if you high-sided coming onto the front straight????

At vegas what if you lost it after the big sweeper? THERE IS A BERM and a chain link fence!

I am sure that there are will be many naysayers but when speaking of preserving life and reducing injuries I think we could make a big difference.

As an organization we could make take track safety into our own hands and have portable airfences set up at each event. What's 15-20 dollars a weekend for everyone's safety?

Again, RIP Joe you will be missed. :(

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I'm in. Can't see that there would be too many naysayers as we are the ones it would be protecting. $5 a race would cover it.

3. OldnReallySlow

OldnReallySlow Well-Known Member

I'd be in as I have seen too many close calls at both tracks

4. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Agree. And thank you John Ulrich for what you have done on this subject.

5. BearKat

BearKat Big Dude on a 600

I would also be in for that cause.

Something would be better than nothing.

6. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Or you could just donate however much you want, and mark it on the registration sheet since there is a spot for it on it.

7. Keep Up

Keep Up N 142

I would pay more, but here in the southeast, I have raced most of the tracks, but have never seen airfence at any (maybe this has been covered)? Granted I think run off is pretty good most anywhere, but still havent seen any around here?

RIP Joe

8. RoadracerR123

I feel that safety should be more of an integral part of racing and should just be built in.

2-5 dollars per race is a drop in the bucket for a race weekend in my opinion.

9. RoadracerR123

If the runoff is good (and I am sure that it is at some tracks) maybe that money could be spent on more safety personnel on-hand= no more ambulance delays....

I am sure there are dozens of ways we could improve safety from every aspect.

10. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

it's certainly been at races in the SE.

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I believe it has been discussed here before but I am not sure whatever came about from it.

12. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'd be all in for it, but I don't think it should be mandatory. I'd be willing to bet that MOST would, as long as they were asked. I'd be willing to also bet that most would give a little more. You usually don't think about sending in 5 bux via paypal to some fund. But, almost everyone can take a few dollar bills out of their pockets and put it in a "tip jar" to help with our safety.

13. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

Agreed. Please, just do it on your own. There are so many ways to do this yourself or ask others that aren't even racing to do it. That would make things much easier. Get motivated and ask others to help out of their own pockets. It will be more understood and appreciated rather than lost among fees.

Even then, race tracks need to build them selves up a safely. Too many mistakes made in design, period. And that's just dumb. I can't say that enough.

14. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

I really like this idea! I always think about donating and never get around to it, but if there was an option on the registration forms for each race or license renewal to add additional money specifically as a donation I would put in a few bucks every time. I think most people are the same way. This way noone would complain about fee increases and it would surely collect at least a few thousand every year for track safety. Great idea! :up:

15. Matt399

I missed this the first time. I didn't realize it was on there. I'll be sure to look for it and donate next time!

16. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

I think soliciting donations at registration is an outstanding idea, reinforcing the idea at rider's meetings, etc., etc....

Supporting groups like MARRC and other cornerworking/safety organizations in addition with a membership wouldn't hurt matters either....Those folks are saints...

17. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Ummmmm......there is a place on the entry form to donate.

18. KK352

KK352 Well-Known Member

I love that they added an air fence donation line on the entry form!
    I donate $10-$20 every time I enter a race.

Thank you WERA for making it so easy to donate

19. Matt399

Yeah I just realized that and feel like a moron for not realizing it before. Thanks for pointing it out though, I'll be sure to donate every race from now on. Hopefully some other people on here didn't notice it before and will do the same!

20. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

I think it should be added into the fees, along with being able to donate. Safety has to be a priority and some of these tracks just aren't set up for motorcycles. My company funds a charity event every year and I am trying to get them to put together a benefit for the air fence fund this year or next.