1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Charlie Mavros???

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Christian157

Christian157 Well-Known Member

Like others here who have pretty much summed him up. I will miss that SOB, his competitive heart and love for the sport, his generosity, his personality will be missed. RIP Charlie.

2. adio1dog

adio1dog Well-Known Member

RIP racer, Godspeed. Way too many of these threads...:(

3. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

When he was still racing up north he had "his spot" by the pit lane fence near the Media Center. I was constantly chewing him out for riding too fast in the paddock. After he went south and raced Florida CCS, I'd walk up to him in the Homestead paddock and tell him that Don Hutchison sent me down to keep an eye on him. I also busted his balls for still having yellow plates.
    He had his Loudon homecoming at the 2016 Classic, where he was running the ASRA Team Challenge. Things had changed at Loudon. We had a new head security guy who couldn't be bribed with cheesburgers and only those renting garages could park inside the garage fence. Charlie set up at "his spot" and the security guy told him to move. He moved over to the other side of Victory Lane (Jackyl's compound that weekend) and security told him to move again. I finally ran into him when he was being kicked out of the Sidecar Ghetto. Both he and the security guy were getting extremely upset with each other and I just had to laugh.
    The next day I stopped his teammate who was coming off the track and told him to pass the word to Charlie that the new regime had eyes up in the tower and speeding in the paddock would be awfully expensive.

From the archives:

[​IMG]

4. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

I'd posted on Melk's FB about the first time I met him was my first race weekend at JGP back in '07, and how he was pitted next to me, and we introduced ourselves, and he never stopped talking, LOL!

Wow!! Hearing these few "his parking spot" made me remember.....I'd already been parked and set-up at JGP when he pulled up telling me I'm in his spot. I begged to differ since I was already there set-up, lol. I figured he was playing, and maybe he was, although it didn't seem like it. I remember telling my girlfriend "Who's this guy think he is!?!" Well, shortly after that we introduced ourselves, and he gave me some advice (GOOD advice....I actually believed having I was no noob to that track). I always thought of him as Mouth of the South. Could hear that guy all over the pits, LOL!

Godspeed Mavros!!

5. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

RIP racer

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Wow...Santiago, Charlie and the baby Steph. Great pic Johnny.

7. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Rest In Peace racer.

Charlie was as dynamic as they come. Huge loss for the road racing community, no doubt.

Thoughts and prayers sent out to the family.

PMooney Jr. likes this.
  8. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

RIP Mavros. he must have been an interesting guy.

Αναπαύσου εν ειρήνη

9. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Charlie was as big an asshole as you could ever hope to meet and his "rule bending" was at a comical level. He was in the same garage bay at Daytona. Our last ever conversation went like this:

Charlie: "Hey! How you making money now, I never see you at the shop?"

Me: I'm there all the time.

Charlie: When?!

Me: On the weekends.

Charlie: Why?

Me: Cause' you're not there on the weekends.

Charlie: Fuck you.

Both: Laughing

Charlie: Hey fix that Harley thing there, I think it just needs carb adjustment. Put it on the dyno and make it run good.

Me: Yeah it runs like shit cause' you touched it, stop working on it.

Charlie: Nothing, just a Mavros smile.

There's a million good Charlie stories out there, his memorial service is gonna take a whole damn week to tell them all.

Rest in peace you pain in the ass.

seroj, HEF211, TurboBlew and 4 others like this.
  10. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

11. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

THIS is Charlie. lol My last interaction with him was at RRR at first AHRMA race this year (Feb). We were in the Formula Thunder race at the end of the day...I was on my SV and he was on some fast ass gorgeous Duc (as usual). He was slow as hell in all the corners and then just twisting the throttle to keep in front of me on exits or straight....did this shit for TWO laps and can hear me yelling at him in my video of that race....then pulls off into pits with the pack long gone. :mad: Found him in the pits later and was like WTF Charlie?! Just smiled and said he had his own problems...:mad: By end of conversation apologized for holding me up. o_O Now the "rule bending" is beyond comical with him...didn't even try to hide crap...illegal brakes on SS bikes for example...no doubt the motor was hopped up as well...:rolleyes:

RIP Charlie...

12. PMooney Jr.

Charlie, you can't use that fuel.
    Why?
    Cause it'll blow up Charlie.
    Eh, thats what mechanics are for.

tigerblade likes this.
  13. kl3640

kl3640 Well-Known Member

Some of you will remember me (Vas #518). Those of you who knew me when I raced knew how close Charlie and I were. Many many nights in an RV together, a hotel room, or even staying at each other’s houses in NY or Florida. Not too long ago he came to my place in NYC for drinks. I watched his kids grow up over the years.

When I was yellow plate he was one of the guys who really showed me the ropes. When I got hurt badly at CMP he packed up my stuff and got it back and even fixed my bike up for me while I was healing. When I finally won a championship he was right there with me.

Charlie could be complex but deep down in there he had a heart of gold.

I was devastated when I got the call yesterday.

I’m sure you’re in heaven Charlie, and probably you set up pit there somewhere you’re not supposed to.

RIP

XFBO, Chino52405, ToofPic and 3 others like this.
  14. PMooney Jr.

Man the track will be different without him. He had a crazy passion for motorcycles, hard not to have good time around Charlie. You ran the gamut of emotions with that guy :D

ToofPic likes this.
  15. PMooney Jr.

October at Daytona. My girlfriend is there with her massage table working in our garage. Charlie is next door again. Keeps trying to get her to work on him, soon as she's done working she rides the pit bike in circles out front of him. "Sorry Charlie I'm busy" lol.

About an hour later a girl walks by that looks similar and is dressed like Misty. Charlie is walking around the corner and thinks its her.

Hey c'mon I need a massage!!

Complete stranger turns around. "Fuck you!"

:crackup:

Charlies face, priceless...

:D

Last Week, tigerblade, XFBO and 10 others like this.
  16. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

Another CCS racer and I would refer to this as the 'Charlie Train'. It was usually at VIR and a tight train of 5 or 6 bikes, especially from T1-6. He'd pull a gap to 7, we'd close it up some before the main straight, close in at T1 and try like hell to get by before the straight to T7. This could go on for damn near a whole race.

GixxerBlade likes this.
  17. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Keep 'em coming! This thread is on a roll!

18. Phl218

Phl218 .

Rest in peace man...

19. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

This thread reads more like a roast than a eulogy but RIP anyway.

20. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

The guys I knew that were ‘roasted’ when they passed would not have wanted it any other way.

Didn’t know Mr. Mavros. RIP racer.

PMooney Jr. likes this.