1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Riding your motorcycle to Daytona for Bike Week?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by 976-FIZR, Feb 23, 2011.

1. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

2. six6two

six6two AWD

Dad and I rode down a couple of years ago. Both bikes got stolen from our hotel :(

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

And I suppose they'll want to see a doctors note for my glaucoma medicine. :rolleyes:

4. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I don't care either way. I'm licensed, my bike is insured and registered and it has the OEM exhaust on it. Personally, I'd love to see the asshats riding around on open piped Harley's start to get tickets. All I ever think about now is the South Park episode when I see those clowns. It's a shame because OEM exhausts on Harley's sound good IMO and many owners screw it up.

People forget that riding and using the roads is a priviledge, not a right.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  5. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

And that's one reason why I ride my 1996 Hinda ST1100 with 172,000 miles on the clock down there. I leave the good bikes home. That, and it's a boring ass ride that the ST is good at doing.

6. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

It scares me that more and more of society has been so institutionalized that they accept and readily condone such flagrant violations of the 4th amendment.

If I have loud pipes, fine, light me up. Peanut shell helmet? Fine, light me up. No blinkers? Fine, light me up. License plate smeared inside the wheel well, sideways, so it can't be read? Fine, light me up.

Articulate to me how a reasonable person would believe that I am breaking a law, or am actively about to break a law. But trying to couch unlawful search (& perhaps seizure) in the guise of 'targeted safety checks' is BS, plain & simple.

7. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Exactly! This is a reason to search not a visual check.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

976-FIZR, thank you. If they want to stop everybody, such as DUI checkpoints, fine. Spotlighting motorbikes however, makes no sense. Go catch some crack dealers.

9. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

And there's the slippery slope. I view the roadways as public domain that you need to pay your way for the priviledge to use and not a right. You pay through license fees, vehicle registration fees, gas taxes, etc.

If I were to be stopped and they asked to see my license and registration, fine. Asking me to open my saddlebags when all else is legal would be a problem and I agree with the illegal search and seizure. I was not lead to believe from the article that this is what the stops are about.

10. six6two

six6two AWD

I'm 100% with you on the Harley's, but if you pay taxes using the roads is a right... provided you're licensed to do so.

11. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

At least they got a little smarter. At the WSBK round at Miller, they stopped all the motorcycles on the road back to the Interstate. It took direct intervention of Utah's governor to open the roadblock.This time it will be the neighboring state that will be inconveniencing riders for up to four hours (that's right, that's how long the motorcycle-only traffic jam at Miller was) and pissing them off.

It is always a good idea to piss off your visitors right before you invite them to spend their tourist dollars. Not.

Why do I think that Georgia's governor will not give a flying fuck about this?

The only ones who he might listen to will be Georgia-based voters and businesses. That's where you should apply pressure. Write letters. Did you stay or eat in any Georgia business on the way to or from Daytona? Send them a letter and tell them that you will spend your dollars outside the borders of Georgia.

12. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

The article is badly written, like most of the AJC. They are talking about the federally funded safety stops which made news during last year's Miller WSB round. Same deal. It's a way for local and state agencies to get federal money.

I won't comment any further is this is quickly heading for dungeon material.

13. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

Just ride thru Alabama. :rolleyes:

14. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

To send a letter voicing your concerns and find out what the AMA is doing to contest these stops, go to the AMA site and send a pre-written e-mail. Among other issues being raised, the AMA is asking if probable cause will be required to stop motorcycles at these checkpoints and what will constitute probable cause.

I'm one of those people that has my paperwork and bike in order, but I also don't appreciate being pulled over without cause and spending time on the side of the road for no other reason than being on two wheels.

15. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

A stop is a seizure.

Send it to the Dungeon... I'll talk all about it.

16. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

I'm sure it will pay for the officers doing the stops. But it will also create a large amount of revenue for Georgia. Traffic jams = people going to rest stops for food, bathroom breaks, and gas.

The stop itself will also generate a lot of ticket revenue for people only in the state for 2.5 hours on the interstate.

Sorry, it's total BS and a money grab during a bad economy. Why? Because locals will know to go around. Out of state folks will catch most of the tickets. And they won't be voting for the governor anyway.

17. Falcondrvr

Falcondrvr Well-Known Member

+100%

18. 418

418 Expert #59

Most bikes will be on the back of the "H-D" branded trailer anyways...being pulled by the "H-D" edition truck, with a H-D rear window striker and H-D front license plate to top it all off. Each H-D logo like adds horsepower.

and shit.

19. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

actually,Ive noticed on my numerous trips down there that
    there are a lot that untrailer them at the Macon bypass rest stop if the are goin down via 75

20. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

the stops probably are not about that.....but you know those stops can easily go down that road!! :mad: