1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Riding mower deck size

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Jul 12, 2019.

1. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

For a 1 acre of property, the recommendation I keep coming up with is a 42" deck. Why not 54", I mean wouldn't that help mow faster?

2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I have one acre and a 52” hustler raptor. When this does, I’m going to get a 61” commercial unit.

4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If it's flat and you don't have to get through any gates get as big as you can afford.

I run a 72" zero turn on 3 acres.

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I went from 42" to 54", and the time savings is crazy.

Of course, I upgraded from my 12 y/o JD rider to this, but you know what I mean...

Exmark-TTS600GKA483E0.jpg

6. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I clear two acres with a 42” zero turn yard assassin in about thirty to forty minutes. I don’t care if it’s pretty or if the kids’ toys are in the way.

condon66 likes this.
  7. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Do you cut one acre or is that whole lot size? When I downsized from 10.5 acres to 1 acre. I sold my 61” mower and bought a 42”. The 61” was just too big in the more enclosed area. It was far too heavy also. That said, buy what you want, or are comfortable with.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Buy a goat. I hear RiTchie has some free time...

9. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

The yard is about .5 acre of mowable area. I use a 30" walk behind now and on the hot days it's a little rough on my old self and takes almost 2 hours to do the entire yard. I do have a few dimensional limitations which I will factor in.

10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Depends on your lot, big and open go big, bunch of obstacles or not flat go smaller.

11. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I mow a lot. Like....too much, my yard is about 11.5 acres. I have a 61” diesel grasshopper and love it.

The mower is 15 years old and still runs great and isn’t hard on fuel. If you can swing it, look at one of their smaller units. You’ll have the yard mowed in about 15 minutes. [emoji16]

ts199 likes this.
  12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I used to mow a .6 acre lot with posh. Effing sucked.
    42" rider did it much faster and a lot less sweat.
    I now now 1acre+ with 42" in about 1 hr.
    That's side yards, fenced area around house, etc

13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I am the GOAT.

14. eggfooyoung

Gayest Of All Time?

Yep.

5axis, TurboBlew, rd49 and 2 others like this.
  15. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Sounds like my situation. I’m not cutting a full acre, so the 42” was perfect. It lets me get in tight areas my 61” Scag just wasn’t going to go. The new mower is a Exmark Quest with the welded deck. A little more than a stamped deck model but worth it imo. Btw, my total time on the mower every cutting is 20 minutes or so.

16. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Shut up.

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yard contour and amount of obstacles(trees, etc)are the determining factor. If your yard is hilly, then the smaller size is going to cut nice(less scalping hills and missing near dips) than a larger deck.
    I mow a little over an acre that is split into areas in about 1 1/2 hours with a 48" commercial walkbehind. It's the perfect mower for my yard.

Rebel635 likes this.
  18. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Mowing .5 acres? Cost avgerage out the cost of a new mower, fuel and maintenance over the next 10 years and I bet a service will be cheaper (unless your in the south and cut year round)

19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Is he bullying you??

20. eggfooyoung