1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Required Reading - Torture Memo

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Team Atomic, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

2. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

And?

Vanity Fair?

Do you know what is covered by Category I and II?

I may have a second language problem but from the reading Categories I & II appear to be less mild than:

"Use of mild, non-injurious physical contact such as grabbing, poking in the chest with the finger, and light pushing"

Is this Memo the smokin gun?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  3. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

No. It was recently declassified and has made clear the chain of events and those involved but most of the basic facts were already known.

That doesn't mean there won't eventually be repercussions.

4. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

memo - "shows that the Justice Department gave virtual carte blanche to the Pentagon to engage in torture"

The timeline is pretty interesting.

5. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Then it gets weird. When it talks about learning torture techniques from Jack Bauer on 24. An inescapable message that torture works.

"We saw it on cable," Beaver recalled. "People had already seen the first series. It was hugely popular." Jack Bauer had many friends in Guantanamo, Beaver added. "He gave people lots of ideas."

6. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

"grabbing, poking in the chest with finger, and light pushing"

I had no idea I was tortured numerous times througout high school. Where's my lawyer? I'm suing my former school district!

Then again, I also engaged in quite a bit of torture myself, so maybe I'll stay quiet.

7. Robert

You can drive someone insane by something as simple as not letting them sleep. Each little thing is cumulative.

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

You deduct that from the Memo?

The fourth Bulleted Items seems to contradict a "Carte Blanche":

"...a blanket approval of Category III techniques is not warranted at this time."

9. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Robert, you can drive someone insane with lots less doing.

Let me ask you something, what if we subjected this captive individuals to the same treatment enlisted subjects must endure during basic training, would you object to it?

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

They can blame TV. It works for everyone else. LMAO

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  11. Robert

Depends. Context can make a big difference eg. if you think I am willing to kill you, versus knowing it's only a training exercise. But I did see Full Metal Jacket!! I hope nothing you did in basic training caused permanent psychological damage. :)

12. Strick

Strick Good to be king

That comes from reading your's and TommyBoy's posts.

13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Nah, basic was best of times! I learned a lot about myself that has served me well to this day.

Well, I was not in Guantanamo so I don't know for sure if the detainees fear death?
    Do we know for sure that the detainees were threatened by death?

14. Robert

That's good to hear then. When Hawk posted I figured for certain it'd be you mewling about getting the midnight blanket and bars of soap treatment.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How about this, instead of reading some report and posting on a BBS find a local group that works to rehabitate torture victims? The groups all over the place.

Talk - action = bullshit (chuckie, you know where this saying comes from).

16. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Dave what have you've done?? You talk big sh!t, let's hear it.

I played at Vet Hospitals and Katrina benefits. Vet program is musicians on call.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Volunteered for 3 semesters and a summer working with victims of torture from central america, south america and africa. Quit doing that after is become "too much" and did a year working with victims of domestic violence. Quit that after the one lady who I was working with was set on fire and murdered by her husband about 40 feet from me.

Think that will do, chuckie?

18. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Dave, I really, really hate to say this, butt you have my admiration.

I'll buy the first beer.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Game, set, match.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Another technique from the Japanese. Poke the guy repeatedly in the forehead. Eventually it raises a painful knot/blood blister and makes the guy flinch and cry every time you raise your hand. Read it in a POW book years ago. The drip drip of water torture is similar.

tidbit: Mythbusters did water torture to cast members and they freaked out in relatively short time. The chick started crying.