1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reparations!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by guerrilla, Apr 25, 2004.

1. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

Jay ask me on another thread what I felt about reparations for slavery and I figured it would completely threadjack the thread so I started this.

Reparations is an issue I have thought long and hard about. I have decided that reparations are in order but not in the way of hand outs. One possible example of a reparation that I would see as fitting would be to offer TUITION REIMBURSEMENT to all African Americans for a period of time. EX: For the next X Number of Years if you are African American and would like to go to college you pay for it. Then upon successful completion of your classes you get reimbursed 100% for the tuition books etc. (Similar to the way a lot of companies handle it) A grade of C or better must be acheived. You must be working toward a degree (i.e. not taking Basket Weaving). Upon starting the program you must maintain a clean record as it relates to the law. Using the tuition reimbursment program the person has an opportunity to better themselves, but they must take the initiative and be an active participant in that betterment if not the Federal Governement would not be out anything if the individual was not actively trying to better their situation.

I think Chris Rock sums up my feelings on a lot of issues best and his take on affirmative action kinda relates. He said "that he does not feel that if he gets a lower score on a test he should get a job over a white person because he is black but if there is a tie f@ck 'em, they had a 400 year head start!"

That's how I feel. Decendants of the slaves in this country are about 200 years behind the curve as it relates to the core philosophies of our country. ALL MEN BEING CREATED EQUAL, AND THE RIGHT TO LIFE LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. We need to do something to bridge the gap!

Oh and this coming from someone who would probably cut off his fingers before voting for a democrat!

Discuss and Flame at your leisure!

2. blueduc37

blueduc37 Well-Known Member

I'd agree except for:

-No one I know of in my family tree ever owned slaves therefore why should I have to repay (taxes) for something I never benefited from?

-The huge number of immirgrants who come here with nothing, work hard and prosper.

-The lack of pressure on Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast, etc. to kick in anything.

-Jesse Jackson is a millionaire.

-Al Sharpton probably is a millionaire.

-The relative cheapness of one way intercontinental airline tickets.

3. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

G-

I marched in civil rights rallies at age 9 and have repped a number of clients who were discriminated against in restarants and at work.

I beleive that this country is still significantly racist.

But reparations don't make sense to me. It is just too late, in most instances.

R.

4. Singling out one historically oppressed group for reparations is discriminatory. I have some Cherokee ancestors, and they were treated just as badly (if not worse) by the white population and the US Government.

If you make reparations to one group, you have to make them to all.

What about other Indian tribes? What about the Chinese railroad workers? What about the Mormons? The list goes on and on. Black slaves and their descendants don't have a monopoly on being persecuted.

5. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

no way, no reparations! although your plan holds people accountable by paying for it themselves and having to finish before repayment, there is no way i could agree with someone getting a free education while i have to pay. this EXACT same thing happened to me in canada (where natives get not only education free, but also get PAID to go to school) i was sitting there in class, refused for a student loan in my 3rd year and no money to pay, while there are 6-10 natives in the class (some of which were hardley students but the getting paid part is better than a job) sitting next to me. i flipped and told them there is no way in hell they should be getting what they get and i cant even get a LOAN! there is something seriously F'd up with that. while i feel your pain with the racism today, it also goes both ways. and while you feel people may not get a job because they are black, i feel some DO get jobs because they are black. what makes it worse is the year that i taught ina n all black school, the students were so quick to come down on me and call me racist to my face. all they knew was i was white, nothing else. they started to tell me that it was my ancestors that enslaved their people. i aughed and said it is a shame they dont know their heritage. i went on to explain to them that i am from the east coast of canada, where slaves WENt for freedom. so their assertion that i enslaved their people couldnt have been more incorrect. point is they shouldnt be blaming me for their current situation, or blaming anyone else either, they needed to work from here to better themselves. some of those students will do well in life, unfortunatley most of them will not realize their potential. but back to original point, as long as we treat other diffferently (free education) others will fee resentment and their cant be equality.

6. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Since I've never owned slaves, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay reparations to folks who've never been slaves.

7. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Tell you what, you find a slave and I'll see if I can find a slave owner. We'll let the two of them work it out in court.
    Unless you can find the parties involved it's a non-issue.

8. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

TOO LATE? It is never too late to right a wrong.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

10. Shyster d'Oil

The people who have been wronged by slavery are dead.

Even if you ID the corporations that still exist that made money off of slaves, what do you do with it?

The traitorous Confederacy is gone, so that outlet of reparations is lost.

The folks that you want to pay for the reparations (living taxpayers, both individuals) had nothing to do with slavery.

The victorious US Government, crushed the succesionist (sp?) slavering traitors, at a huge cost both in lives and $$.

So who pays and who gets paid?? Makes little sense to me.

And what are my reparations if I have relatives in the Union Army who were killed by the traitors?

11. WeaselBob

WeaselBob Well-Known Member

I can be a victim if the money's good

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What Roger said so well.

13. Shyster d'Oil

You'd be my bitch if the $$ was good.

But its not.

:D

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I just want all you pale-faces off my ancestor's stolen land.

I expect you gone by next Tuesday at the latest. Turn out the lights on your way out.

Or I could just arrange for you all to send me rent checks and you can just stay where you are. After all, most of us savages were wiped-out anyway, how much land do we really need?

Just send whatever you feel is an equitable amount. What could be more fair than that? Voluntary reparations to help the downtrodden Native American to help off-set the scourge of the white-eyed devils.

I'll let you know when I have the PayPal account set up.
    Peace, my white brothers.

15. WeaselBob

WeaselBob Well-Known Member

Is that why I keep waking up covered in Crisco with a quarter in my hand :confused:

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Can you explain this one?:confused:

17. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

My family owned as few as 3 and as many as 30 slaves leading up to the civil war. I am not ashamed of this nor do I accept any blame for this.

I believe reparations should only be paid to those who experienced actual harm. In other words, if you were a slave you should get a check. If your just another relative of slaves, no $$ for you.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Everyone is a victim. Everyone has a sh@ttie childhood. Everyone deserves compensation.

What a bunch of crap. All these “victims” take away from the truly abused and in need of a leg up.

19. cinderella

cinderella Guest

Reparations?

Oh, you mean all the tax dollars that go toward supporting the welfare subculture, right?

20. Shyster d'Oil

Yes.

:D