1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

repaint or wrap question

Discussion in 'General' started by Hotfoot, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Bondo, sanding and rattle can paint job. You're just gonna chuck it up the road again. :D

evakat, tl1098 and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I've been rattle-canning my bikes for years, for the simple reason I wasn't a fan of spending $$$ on something that will just get pulverized at the track within a few days anyways.

Last year I decided to go a different route and tried wrapping.

With some practice, patience (the learning curve is pretty steep on more complex panels), and the right tools (a good adjustable heat gun and 3M knifeless tape are a MUST) you can get some really nice results.

I just finished up a set of "street" bodywork so that I can get out on the trackbike for the occasional short cruise with my dad around town......gloss black vinyl with some dry carbon from vvivid. Near 3M-quality vinyl at a much lower price.

[​IMG]

Pride & Joy likes this.
  3. Pride & Joy

Pride & Joy Well-Known Member

^^ That looks really good! My first attempt at vinyl wrap came out SIGNIFICANTLY worse. Tons of creases, and where there weren't any creases, I had air bubbles. I even bought an adjustable heat gun to "help"... I think I definitely lack the talent for this! I may give it another try over the winter.

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

It helps to do things in "panels" for some areas rather than trying for one large piece. With proper use of the knifeless tape, you can't even tell there is a difference where the two panels meet.

Another big lesson I learned is "setting" the vinyl by applying vigorous heat to edges and stretched areas to remove the vinyl's "memory" before trimming things away.

LOTS of tips and tricks available on youtube, with CKWraps being the most popular and informative.

5. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

This is the first time in ten years I’ve had to paint the bike, so it’s not a regular thing for me to have to make repairs; for me personally I don’t mind spending the money for it to look good. The hangup, at this point, is finding someone to do it, in a reasonable time frame, the wrap guys seem like they can turn it around in days and the painters (so far) are pushing me out to January.
    I do like the idea of learning how to repair and paint but I’m not sure it is realistic to think I’ll have time to do it.

On the other hand, maybe the rattle can paint job might get me an extra second or two on the track if I’m less worried about f’ing up a beautiful and expensive paint job. :)

6. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Give it a go. It's much easier than you think. You can spray any $3 rattle can for the color. The key is using that spraymax 2k clear for the clearcoat. It gives it a deep gloss and makes it chemical resistant. IT LOOKS GOOD!

Go look at some YouTube videos with that clear. Its super easy.

If you zoom in on the pic I posted of my bike, even with a crappy pic you can see the gloss there. And that area below my lever where there that major body line was rough. Had a huge hole ground throughout by the asphalt from a low side. You can do a whole set of fairings over the weekend

Hotfoot likes this.
  7. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

This turned out the be the winning plan. :) I took your advice and called around to a bodyshop and found a GREAT guy, local, who also happens to be a Harley rider, who seems totally comfortable with repairing and painting the fairings and pleased to have something different then the usual to do. Dropped them off today. Good price, turnaround time expected to be about two weeks. If he does a decent job and meets the estimated price and completion date, I will be really happy. Fingers crossed. Great idea to call auto bodyshops, I never thought about them being willing to do a bike but the guy I found made it sound like it will be in a walk in the park, for them.

lopitt85 and 05Yamabomber like this.
  8. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Awesome to hear. Hope it turns out good for you.