1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renting a bike in Switzerland return in Italy

Discussion in 'General' started by kyle carver, Dec 6, 2018.

1. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

i recommend renting in Munich...I did it in 2016 and there are plenty of options.

Phl218 likes this.
  2. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

To add to this and not to thread jack. Barcelona seems way more difficult to find big bike rentals (600cc+) that aren't touring BMWs. If anyone has something on that please pm me.

3. G2G

G2G I feel the need

This! Only problem might be crossing country borders. When i rented in Greece they say not to go outside of greece.

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

LOL, its the EU, there are no country borders. Switzerland excepted.

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

It takes a couple months for the first one, then they wrap up after about 6 months. And don't forget about the $50 admin fee for each ticket too!

6. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Yah, I will never drive in Switzerland again. That hurt. Was there two weeks for work and drove all over. Had no idea about most of the speed cameras. Took about a month to get the first one. Rental car. I actually expensed a few through my work but they got tired of it. All tickets added up were well over $1000. I wont ever drive there again. But I have also driven from Munich to Italy through the Austrian Alps. If there were ever an actual "Gods Country" it would be that trek. Fun drive, through those open one sided tunnels. Into Italy wine country is breathtaking. If its warm enough would be great on a bike.

7. This is purely an insurance coverage issue. You can pay for extra insurance that covers you in multiple countries.

8. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Yes, but not all countries accept a US drivers license. Most do, but Czechia definitely does not. I only know CZ for sure because I was there and considered renting a car at one point.

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I rented a car in Berlin a few years ago. Rental cars come with "Green Card" insurance. I drove all the way down into Albania, and the green card covered most countries with the exception of a few (Albania, Bosnia, couple others). I buy Green Card insurance twice a year for my bike rides in Europe. Same thing.... covers most EU countries. The country names are all shown on the card, and if you encounter a border crossing, they'll ask to see the green card.

10. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Thats why you need to go to AAA for an international drivers license. In Greece the places I rented a car/bike and quad would not let me rent then with out it. Also the Motorcycle I rented was not to be ridden outside of Greece no matter what insurance I had.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. adrenalist

adrenalist Well-Known Member

What months would you consider “warm enough”?

12. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I drove it mid-March 2017. It was just warming up. As others said, there are plenty of bike rentals in Germany. Its about a 5-6 hour drive Munich through Austria to Italy. Wasnt alot of traffic.

adrenalist likes this.
  13. adrenalist

adrenalist Well-Known Member

Thank you.

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

Traffic wise, it’s good to be familiar withthe german holiday schedule. Easter and Pfingsten can be a mess in or heading to the mountains