1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rental Car Insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by TSWebster, Jan 29, 2014.

1. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

A friend of mine recently totaled her car. She would like to rent a car for a few weeks while she looks for a car. Since she no longer owns the old car, her insurance is no longer in effect. I know Visa evidently does a pretty good job of covering the collision responsibility if you use them to pay for the rental but what do you do about liability? Buy the rental company's?

2. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Some insurance companies (Progressive) allow you to maintain your liability coverage, even after dropping a vehicle, at a pretty staggering discount. The $50 or so for a months liability (while using a rental) would be pretty reassuring to me & likely far cheaper than what the rental place wants.

3. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

Enterprise fucked me on that one. I paid 650$ for their damage coverage for 36 days while my truck was in the shop for a collision repair. I was rear ended driving their vehicle the third day I had it.

Two weeks after returning the vehicle enterprise sent me a 660$ bill for having the bumper replaced on their truck. Assholes.

4. GECCO

GECCO Runs with scissors

Ummm, so why would you pay it? Just send the invoice back with a receipt for the insurance coverage.

5. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Last time I rented at Enterprise I got a Nissan Frontier 4x4. Kid asks me if I would like the coverage.."Hell yes I do son, give me the most coverage I can buy." He didn't know what to do.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

lol...thats like saying "aftermarket erraythang" in that biz. :D

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

keep some form of auto policy in place or when she goes to get a new policy she will pay out the arse for having "no prior coverage" more than a week or so lapse is frowned upon by the industry

8. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

Been busy with work, haven't had time to call them and sort it out.

Who knows if they think they found a loop hole out of their coverage and just want more money. They included a threatening letter in the package they sent me saying I was paying it one way or another.