1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Steering stem nut from 09 gsxr 600

Discussion in 'Tech' started by quickscoot, Aug 16, 2009.

1. quickscoot

quickscoot Well-Known Member

Ok I'd be all over someone who asked a question like this but....
    Is there a trick to getting the steering stem nut off my '09 GSXR 600..what size is the nut?
    I'm no mechanic but I've stripped and rebuilt numerous track bikes in the last 20 years and this one is stumping me.
    I was looking for the magnetic key but there doesn't seem to be one and I can't seem to get it to budge.
    What am I missing??m Please don't tell me that if I can't get the nut off I shouldn't be riding the bike..cause that is what I'd say.

2. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

I think I use a size 32 socket if I remember correctly

3. piper907

piper907 Well-Known Member

36... same as the rear axle. no tricks.

4. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

The trick is to use a 1/2" breaker bar and extend the handle where you push and load then back off of the nut is get a rhythm going. You do not push the socket over the flats and round them on one full throw is do not.

Use that painter's blue tape around the nut so you take up the slack in the socket. This moves the flat farther away from the socket that is about to round it off, especially if the socket is not a 6-point, but a 12-point.

I am pointing out if your 32 slash 36 mm socket is not used, but an American size fits kind of backyard mechanic? Yeah, you load the slop not tear it off kind of cheater me beater.

5. Mavspire

Mavspire Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the gold nut on top of the triple?? That should just need a 32mm socket on a long ratchet/breaker bar. Turn the handlebars to the left (full lock) and then give it a tug ....it should come right off.

OR are you talking about the lock nuts UNDER the top triple? You'll need a specific tool (socket) to take them off and put them back on. You can get them off with a screwdriver/mallet (not recommended); but not put them back on. You'll never get the right torque.

6. quickscoot

Nope it was the nut on top...how bout i measure the damn thing..then I'll figure out if it's 32 or 36...I love the hammer and screwdriver method for the ones underneath the clamps..I've done it for years..what!?!? I never had a headshake on any of my bikes ever!!

7. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

And you wonder why I work on my own equipment

I just repacked the greased in my steering bearings. I never had a knock. Book says to pack at 24K miles. I packed mine at 7.5k miles.

I don't know what you are working on, but mine is an '08 and no special tools were needed but to bend the lock washer tabs to spin the rings off the lower crown.

Assembly is a hand feel of the rings and torque the top crown nut for the final 'pre-load.' This is so you find no bind swung left to right or knock when moving the forks like fore and aft as in, brake action apply.

If you hammer the rings around, then you have to un-pinch the upper crown so the forks can slide with the lower crown. Then torque the upper crown down on the rings again, re-pinch the bolts. Something like that... "Duck Dive."

:wow: :confused:

8. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

Just make sure you torque them down to specs... Luis

9. quickscoot

It's 36mm for all those who are wondering..NOT 32

10. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

You are missing a good strong arm.

11. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

If you can`t get it off, you shouldn`t be riding. Lol. Had to do it

12. quickscoot

I'd deserve it I tell ya!

13. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

I bought my 36mm socket at Autozone, I think it was $16. or so.

14. quickscoot

I bought my 36mm nut from Canadian Tire..I am too limp wristed to torque the nut off so I got my mom to do it..came right off no problem..oh ya ..it cost me $10. and...Any one want my mom to twist their nuts off..it'll cost you the price of the socket!!!

15. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member