1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote cell coverage options

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i'm looking at buying a piece of property to build a house on in the future, only problem, it's so remote, and the way it lies, there's no cell coverage where it is. at least there was none with the at&t and sprint phones i have. (there was coverage maybe a quarter mile up the driveway). does anyone have any experience with the femtocells that the providers have that use your broadband line for service? any other options for coverage in really remote areas?

thanks

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Kris, I have a similar situation at my farm. On the hilltop att works fair, lose altitude, nada. Verizon, however seems to work great in the woods around here and all over GA according to the people I've talked to. All the farmers around here are on Verizon...

3. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  4. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

thanks, thats the only one i didnt have to test.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You'd have to deploy it in a manner other than intended and they aren't cheap but there are solutions out there. Be sure to pay attention the frequencies.

http://www.powerfulsignal.com/KitsBuilding/BuildingKits.html

The problems will be powering the unit. Mounting the antennas in the appropriate locations and such. If you have access to descent broadband services at the location then FEMTOCELL is the easier solution.

6. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

That was going to be my suggestion as well

7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

If your going to have broadband out there, Verizon has a device called a network extender. It gives you service for about 5k sq ft. It is for voice, not data, but it works well. I've put a few in for people.

It's even cheap. Like $200 or so

8. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Why can't they bring back the old bag phones. Mine had ridiculous reception. Don't they know what is old is new again.

9. stickboy274

Because the government took the spectrum back so they can sell it again.

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

And banned the use of the 5 to 7 watt radios those things had in them.

11. Squirrel

Squirrel Well-Known Member

They are like .6 watt now? Or maybe less??? lol

12. stickboy274

13. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

14. Kam

Kam Well-Known Member

We use the verizon network extender. With blackberrys there is a lag in conversations but non smart-phones seem to work pretty well.