1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

refueling on track?

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by vcr12 pit crew, Aug 4, 2003.

1. vcr12 pit crew

vcr12 pit crew Well-Known Member

are there any rules about re fueling a bike when it is not on pit road during endurence races? It happend at summit and i wasn't sure if it was legal or not?

2. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

It has happened in the past. It was legal in the past. It was legal at Summit. The team was fined, however, for re-fueling violations.

3. melissa

melissa Sir

So, now the trick is to figure out how to do an in-flight refueling and just pay the fines for having the bike running with the rider on it during re-fueling, and no fire extinguisher.

4. JurgenW

JurgenW Well-Known Member

hmmm - there is a money making idea. We'll enter a Hayabusa with converted tanks as saddlebags and offer refueling on the straight-away.

Maybe, we can make enough money to the highest bidders to buy another R6 :( AOD - interested????

Jurgen

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No real point in the saddlebags idea, the 2 hour rider limit can currently be reached with regular style (albeit modified) tanks and refueling is still not really the limiting factor in a pitstop.

However if we do the 2 up class then that would extend rider times to 4 or more hours if they switch mid ride....

:D

6. vcr12 pit crew

So, now the trick is to figure out how to do an in-flight refueling and just pay the fines for having the bike running with the rider on it during re-fueling, and no fire extinguisher.

This souds like AMA rules...not WERA

7. hazbin

hazbin forgotten crewman

wait for truck or make um push thats endurance rules!!!!!!!!!!!!fines mean nothing ,laps on the other hand hurt!!!!!!!!!

8. EXPERT35

EXPERT35 Well-Known Member

At IRP in 1999 there was a team that was docked a lap for crossing over the track to bring fuel to a bike. Since then I dont no if any rules have changed? At the same time, Vesrah was in a class by themselves and a docked lap would not have hurt them. Tray + Mark ran a great race as usual.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Penalties vary based on the seriousness of the infraction. Mark taking fuel to tray didn't have to cross the track or for that matter even go over a fence since Tray had pulled off on the first crossover road heading towards T1 (he was on the T3 side of it so to him it was the 2nd crossover but you know what I mean).

When it start affecting the outcome of the race I can see us having a discussion about outside assistance - but why make it as confusing as the Suzuka race has become?

10. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Because if it had been anyone other than Vesrah it would have drawn a penalty? :rolleyes:

:Poke: :Poke:

11. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

I think that you mean if it had been anyone other than Vesrah, no one would have give a shit. :rolleyes: :D

12. joey-95v

joey-95v Registered

they make on-board fire extinguishers for race cars, someone needs to retrofit one onto a bike.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm lost, Vesrah was penalized.

Why should we dock them laps when we've never done that to any other team who has gotten the same assistance on track? Are you saying that the top team(s) should be penalized more because people are jealous of them?

14. vcr12 pit crew

What he said! fines won't change the results of a race...laps will

15. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Well, if that's true then I'd say that your penalty philosophy might need to be looked at. At a minimum, a penalty should negate any advantage gained on the track by the prohibited action. A fine is more appropriate for something that doesn't give an advantage in the race, or maybe just a very minor one, couple of seconds say.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Rich - what you are saying makes no sense. There was no advantage gained. They lost 3.5 laps and the lead of the race. They still came in and did a normal pitstop that took the normal amount of time - so why should they be docked?

17. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Ah, I didn't know that, just assumed that they dumped in 5 gallons out there and kept on truckin'. My bad.

18. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No problem, we do try to penalize people to nullify their actions (as well as punitive punishments as well if we feel it necessary) if there is a gain. That's why the openness of the penalties listed in the rulebook, we try to leave it up to the officials on scene to levy a penalty appropriate for the offense.

20. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Damn that took long enough. :D

No I don't think that they should be penalized more. I was happy with the explanation given at the track but just wanted to bust on it here too. :p

I can deal with any rule that is consistant across the board. :cool: Well as long as it doesn't involve me having to wear ruffles or thongs at pit wall. :eek: