1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reducing a bikes weight.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Bones74, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Bones74

Bones74 Official Back Marker.

Maybe a stupid question, But why when you lighten a bike does the handling suffer from the basic geometry? Thanks

2. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

uuhh...what?

3. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

One fork leg may seem like enough, but you're not supposed to remove suspension components, no matter how much they weigh. :)

4. Bones74

Bones74 Official Back Marker.

What I mean is when a bikes weight is reduced it get twitchy, sorry not clear enough.

5. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

Gordon Jennings once described a race bike that would not carburate cleanly until he wrapped a pound of lead wire around it--apparently altering the vibration frequency or something. so if you remove parts of the frame and suspension to save weight, try adding lead to get the handling back where you want it.

6. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Every bike I've ever had ended up handling better when weight was taken off of it. I suppose you could remove so much that the suspension would not be sprung or valved correctly (running your Gold Wing as a naked stunter bike or something) but it can only help a racebike. Hence SS rules and minimum weights in some pro classes - to keep the cost factor down in pursuit of minimum weight.

7. gimpsta

gimpsta Banned

well, the lighter the wheels were that they put on a gixxer in a test for sport rider a while back, the faster it would react, braking/accelerating.

but it also with the real light wheels could get out of hand when really pushing it. my bar ends have fallen out and i've gotten used to them, but other touch the bike and thinks it vibrates to much.

8. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

eat less pizza and beer and chase more pie. That is cheaper....

9. SPATT

SPATT In a gravel pit near you

I was thinking along the same lines. run a couple miles a week and youll be amazed how much faster your bike will be.

10. gimpsta

gimpsta Banned

haha that is just endurance for your mind is why