1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend a Book

Discussion in 'General' started by sill'r B sill'd, Apr 25, 2012.

1. sill'r B sill'd

sill'r B sill'd throttle therapy

What's one (or more) of your favorite reads? The last couple good ones I read were The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara, Watership Down by Richard Adams and The Pillars of the Earth by Kenneth Follet.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Anything by Tim Dorsey - hilarious books about a serial killer in FL.

Lately just went through the Sherlock Holmes stuff. Have a bunch of Jules Verne downloaded to start on next.

3. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

"To Kill A Mockingbird" is My favorite read. I read it every year around Halloween time.

Other than that, I'll read horror/fiction books, and anything by Dave Barry and Lewis Grizzard.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Nonfiction
    Not A Good Day To Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda
    Sean Naylor
    Unbroken
    Laura Hillenbrand

Fiction
    Anything by Flannery O'connor
    Blood Meridian
    Cormac McCarthy

5. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

My wife just read "House Rules," by Jodi Piccolt. I haven't read it, but the commentary I got from her was entertaining. It's about a dude with Asperger's (a degree of Autism, but high functioning) and his struggles with life. It was humorous in quite a few places, sometimes I think I may have a little touch of it myself.

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Just finished "The Limit" Monday. True story of the 1961 Formula 1 championship battle of 1961 between Phil Hill and Wolgang von Trips. Great book with an excellent lead-up to the finale and great stories about the racers of the day and all they did to get to the peak. And of course many Enzo stories.

Just started "Go Like Hell" yesterday....the story of the Ford-Ferrari battles at LeMans in the mid-60's. Two chapters in and the build up is just full of automobile history in general (like, I had no idea that the Big 3 automakers were not allowed to have any part in racing during the 50's-early 60'...of course Chevy was cheating and killing Ford on the showroom floor because of it). An epic read so far and I've hardly started!

7. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Most of Tom Robbins stuff. Anything by Bill Bryson.

For lighter stuff, Terry Pratchett and Robert Rankin.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Love Pratchett.

I'm running into a major issue right now - I want to put all the books I have in hard copy onto the ipad but really hate the idea of buying them again :D

Also lately been into Repairman Jack stuff from F. Paul Wilson, any James Lee Burke, last long trip went through a bunch of Ken Bruen stuff.

9. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

EntreLeadership - Dave Ramsey

Must read for.business owners, leaders etc

10. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

"Jerusalem" by Montefiorre.

11. trancework

trancework It's always now...

MGM likes this.
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

13. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

reading two right now:

Lover Reborn (new JR Ward) and
    Game of Thrones

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They made a book out of the TV show?

15. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

:stupid: About to finish the second Game of Thrones book, really good writing, pretty brutal at times but I'm digging it.

16. jelder

jelder Replicant

I second Blood Meridian

Roth- American Pastoral

Delilo- Underworld

17. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Bad News by Tom Fenton. This should be required reading for every citizen.....

18. merle4

merle4 Menace to sobriety

A word of caution on the Game of Thrones series. I don't think it's ever going to end. Read books 1-4 about 5 years ago thinking it was a 4 book series. Book 4 didn't complete the story, but the author's note at the end of the book said book 5 would finish it. Book 5 was only released in the US this year, and 1100 pages later, still no conclusion. He's milking it. Still a decent read, but it really doesn't get anywhere anymore. Kinda pissed about the whole thing...

Merle

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Still waiting for the next one? :D

20. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I'm a big Chuck Palahniuk fan.

I also enjoyed Sunny Barger's Hells Angels book as well.