1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recomendations on Bikes?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 273cuda, Nov 7, 2002.

1. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

I have never had any mechanical problems with my CB350 and I like to think it makes big power. You do replace the pistons after a season so you avoid a
    failure cause' that gets expensive. I have
    a 350 that needs an ignition and an exhaust to be race ready. It already has all the go fast peices,(see thread)just needs some TLC. Lemme know if you are interested Cuda......

buff

2. 273cuda

273cuda Member

No crap about those pistons though. My old mans Scrambler mysteriously has 120 psi in one hole and 60 in the other. Don't know how that happened. (whoops)

How much are we talking about for these prepped bikes?

And where are they?

I actually might be interested in that 350, sounds good.
    Are these things still remotely streetable? (I know they're stripped, I mean the engines, etc.)

3. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

My 350 Honda with all the Goodies is 1200 firm. A great value. It needs very little to be a very fast reliable machine. Read the CB350 FS post for deatails or email me directly....

Buff

4. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

My RD400 pulls STRONG from 7,000 to 10,000 and is completely tractable from idle on. actually with the primary bleed type of nozzles, the airjet modification in the carbs and the RZ crossover type of reed boots it is smoother than a stock RD EVER was.

It would make a GREAT street bike....

5. reknelb

reknelb U must have Klingon blood

That cb350 sounds pretty good. RD's are junk in my own opinion. I raced one in 2001. I have an SRX600 for sale, but it might be a little much $$$ wise for a first "vintage" race bike.

6. STAN LIPERT

STAN LIPERT Well-Known Member

Buff,
    You need to state that your bike is an exception, not the rule.I can give a dozen examples of "bad"RDs,and "bad"CB350s.The best you can do is give credit to those people who have had the best intuition and development in building the CB to get the best results,and not ignore others who have had genuine failures that are no fault of their own.Sorry I'm late sending you more Teflon buttons I'll get them right out.

7. Yamaha Fan

awww come it can't be that bad (what was the outcome of the race? how bad did the RD beat you? are you bitter because you lost?)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2002
  8. TJ

TJ Guest

Have you checked the schedule to see where the RACES are ?

9. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

I think guys like Buff and myself and others have had stone reliable bikes the past few years because we take the time between races to inspect and do routine maint. some guys just show up and say ,it ran fine at the last race.Thats only going to cut it for so long.People like to say it's all rider but without a reliable bike the rider won't make the start.Let's face it if you don't like to get your hands dirty you most likely shouldn't be in vintage racing:)

10. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

my bikes stay reliable BEcause i dont touch them very often.:)

11. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

For the money, there isnt any other bike you can go race thats easier and cheaper to race than an RD.

As for 400 versus 350. 350's have won the last two form RD championships. And the 350 might be slightly more bullet proof than a 400.

Are you a big guy or a little guy? It doesnt really matter, I that I saw a pretty big guy win 2 RD titles on a 350.

12. Zooke158

Zooke158 Suzuki T500 Racer

I say ride what you want to ride and where you heart is at. Like me and my Suzuki T500.

While I was riding it I placed mid pack. But with another rider like Joey Naval it had won several times and placed in the top five several times.

Yes the RD wins many races like it did many years ago when most grids were RDs, kinda like now. And yes the CB350 is the same way though without the history of the RDs past.

I got my liscense on a KH400 (S3 Kaw). It was a great bike and fun.

We need some more diversity if we want to have spectators at the races. Bikes that they remembered seeing or used to ride.

Some bikes are harder to find parts for because after market companinies never built performance parts for them due to the fact that few people raced them. It didn't mean they were not competitive.

I for one would like to see your S2 our there. You have a start on spares with having two bikes already.

"evilhordewannabe" started out with a Suzuki but then went over to the dark side. :rolleyes: :eek:

He is having fun and doing well, but it would have been nice to see him gradually perfect the Suzuki and kick some but on it. It has been done on a Suzuki. :cool: :D

13. reknelb

The only time I got beat by an RD is when
    I was riding an RD. I had alot of fun this summer whoopin up on RD's with the SRX, both are Yamahas, one is junk, one is not.

14. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

the s2,3 frames are good roadrace platforms. some racers put h1 and h2 motors in the for roadracing. if you decide to race the s2 you can get as much hp as an rd but it will be about 50 pounds heavier. there are a couple of aftermarket ignitions for them. there are no wiseco pistons for them so you have to use a suzuki pn. if you decide to go with the kawi let me know and ill give you some phone #'s youll need. youll need more time and patience to get one competitive.
    if you want to get on the track quick and cheap(?)and be fast buy a race ready rd. then later you could throw an h1 motor in your S frame.
    scott

15. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

man who built your motor? sounds like you had a real lemon. the overal results speak for themselves. rd are fast and reliable bikes.....when bulit correctly. you are obviously a four stroke rider who jump on a two stroke with no help. :p

16. JA

JA Member

I would have to disagree. he triple frame stripped is about 5 lbs heavier than a RD 350 frame. And the triple motor can't weigh 45lbs more than the RD motors everything else on the bikes being equal. And with the right tuning, a triple can put out more HP than a RD.:eek: :eek: :eek:

17. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

f-500 rd....245lbs. h1 290-320, s2 280-300.

18. Yamaha Fan

Come on your comments in no way reflect the history of this race-bred series. The RD 400 is a direct descendant of the TR3 that won Daytona in 1972 starting a 13-year Yamaha winning streak.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/mcy/epic/1972_tr3_small.html

http://freepages.sports.rootsweb.com/~muzza/yamaha/yam10.htm

The DS7, R5 and RD series of bikes are good handling, reliable, fast race bikes that have proven themselves more than competitive for 30 years.

It would seem to me that the junk part of the bike you rode was holding on to either the wrenches that worked on the bike or the handlebars ;)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2002
  19. reknelb

Thanks for the history lesson.:rolleyes:
    :Puke:
    Am I gonna have to bring back the 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke thread?

20. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

just as i thought.....