1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reciprocal Taxes and Tariffs

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by kangasj, Mar 2, 2018.

1. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Sooo wise men....what say ye about the new tariffs and reciprocal taxes. Personally, I think the US should match any tariffs and taxes that other countries impose on U.S. imports.....and I'll tell ya why....cause it makes me feel good :D. I'm no economist so I have no idea how it will affect currencies, global trade etc... but it seems fair is fair.

OK.....GO!

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Sounds like a Tom Clancy book.

R Acree likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Overall I like it.

4. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

The white man is evil.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Cill whitey

6. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Sums it up perfectly for me on a gut reaction level as well :)

My guess is that staggered tariffs and taxes attempt to level out the amount of consumption and demand for choice one society has versus another. The US has had businesses and industries that would have wiped out global competition without effort if countries didn't impose these measures. While in the US we would lose the consumer choices of the smaller foreign brands as they would have been wiped out or never grown. If any of that BS is somewhat on point, I'd wonder if they still serve the same purpose today that they once did.

kangasj likes this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was in MX a week or two back and production is booming for the nafta market. New industrial parks, new buildings, mother f@ckin' new airports just to service the boom.

China should be shitting their pants right now because companies are sick of dealing with that gooberment there and just sick of the shit of dealing in china and are leaving and going to. . . drum role please. . . vietnam, poland, mexico and the mother f@ckin' US.

Say what you want about the dope in the white house but you can't argue with what was a trickle under big ears is becoming a flood.

XFBO and kangasj like this.
  8. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Geographically, Mexico is considered a great place to be. Good, hard workers there too.

Primary issue for me is the rampant drug crime that seems as widespread as ever.

Tariffs good? Who knows. A bit like NAFTA, it certainly worked out for a lot of big business, not so much for the average worker...

9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Probably a ploy to get others to the dealing table...I'm OK with a tit-for-tat approach as long as the goal is the elimination of tariff walls not the building of higher ones. I'm a little surprised at the Canuckistan response. I thought NAFTA had already eliminated the issue?

10. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Slight mod...:D

11. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I'm a big supporter of tariffs. I mean, look how well the domestic auto maker did in the 70s and 80s when they produced a superior product to the japanese at a more competitive price.

there's also no way that american steel and aluminum producers won't jack up their own prices to be just under that of the duty laden foreign product.

12. kangasj

kangasj Banned

So....if a country imposes tariffs on imported U.S. manufactured products it's a good thing but if the U.S. does it it's bad? Just trying to keep up...

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It's not like we haven't done this before. They imposed stiff tariff's on Japanese motorcycles over 700 cc or thereabout back in the early 80s to save Harley. I don't recall completely, but that may have been the genesis of the middle weight sport bikes. I know there were a lot of 600 and 650 bikes during that time that didn't exist prior.

14. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I dont recall saying that. I don't like tariffs at all.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Tangent, but this is a big part of why it’s time to end the WOD. Getting rid of that black market would eliminate the cartel’s funding and clean up a lot of that crime. Right now Mexico is pretty much 1920’s Chicago on steroids.

16. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

This tariff thing is just more theater. It wont ever happen.

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Yea me neither but unfortunately, that's out of our control. I'm no expert on the subject but wasn't foreign tariff's a huge reason why HD did so poorly in Europe/Asia?

All while, we're not hitting their competition with similar tariffs here stateside which increased their value?

I know this is a racing forum and we'd HATE to see our pockets taking a hit but the way I look at it, fair is fair.

18. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Historically the tariff was responsible for the '700 class'. For homologation purposes some 750's were still available, at about a grand over MSRP for the 700. When the tariff expired, so did the 700's.

The MW sportbike (mostly) evolved from the 550's. In fact several of the early 600's shared tooling with the earlier 550's, similar motor mount and cylinder stud spacing for example.

19. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the WOD (or 'War on' anything, because unintended consequences), but remember how ending Prohibition meant the end of the Mafia and organized crime? Yeah. The cartels already have huge assets and momentum and will just branch out into other crime. Not to mention that a whole criminal underclass now exists (M13, for instance) that will look for other opportunities anywhere a goon is needed.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Not so much other crime, but legitimate business. Besides, without the drug trade, what kind of major organized crime could there be? There just isn’t enough of a demand for anything else that could replace it.