1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recent lowside @ fontana this sunday, video + advice ?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by slevin, Aug 31, 2011.

1. slevin

slevin New Member

Hey guys, I think this might be my first post... maybe not the best one.. haha. Anyways, not sure if anyone else was out at Fontana this past sunday. I was the guy that went down in the first session in Level 1 = (

It was my second trackday, I was feeling pretty comfortable. Bike was setup very similar to the last time I was there. I went to Catalyst Suspension 3 weeks before to have my bike setup for my weight. Which was the only change to the bike. As far as my riding, the only thing I was trying to work on my first session out was to bring my head down toward my mirrors.

I bought photos from my first trackday and my instructor noted that i was getting off the bike correctly and getting my knee out good, but I wasn't dropping my head low enough and off the bike.

So the first session about 5 laps in after passing a couple other Level 1 riders I lowsided into turn #13. I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong or right ?

I'm leaning toward the fact that I was way too far leaned over for the amount of throttle input I was giving the bike ? It was 105 degrees that day with track temps being around 140 degrees. I'm on Michelin Power Ones.

I've posted my video and stuff over on a r6 forum and I got a lot of different helpful information, it seems like a few people were leaning toward my tire pressure being too high for the track temps and another person mentioned that there is a seam in the track right where i lost traction ?

I was running 28 front 31 rear cold, I got the psi info from the michelin tire vendor there that day.

without further delay heres the vid. Thanks for the input !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iASb_yRf3Xk

[​IMG]

2. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Need more info if possible. Power One Commercial tires, or were they the Race tires? If Race, which compound? Were you riding with brand new tires that day? Also, looks like you tucked/slid the front. Can you confirm which end of the bike gave out?

My initial assessment is that you leaned over on a tire that hadn't gotten up to temp and hadn't been completely scrubbed in. You don't necessarily need to scrub a hot tire, but it helps if it is a new tire w/o warmers and at Level 1 pace. Hope this makes sense.

3. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

Looks like input on the bars to me. Right at :24 the bars turn in to the left and it's hard to tell if it's a contributor to the lowside or symptom of it, but that's what sticks out to me.

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Commercial Ones need to be 29 Front 23/24 Rear... Cold....

5. slevin

slevin New Member

The tires weren't new that day, I did one trackday on them 2 months prior.

They are indeed just the normal power one street tire, not a slick.

And it felt like the rear end came out on me, it happened so fast I was just confused the entire time it happened.

6. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Level 1 is beginner's with Fast Track Rider's ?
    I've been watching Level 3 rider's go thru that section a few MPH's (as indicated on their speedo's) slower than you did in this video.
    I think ya were just riding over your limit. I've done it too wanting to put down fast lap's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX6jYuQ-d-M

7. OG Z

OG Z Active Member

i am not the best rider around so take my advice for a grain.

when i change body position while leaning from one side to another like during a chicane, it seems like if i shift my weight while i make my bar input it throws my bike into a wobble like in the video. i try to get in position for the second corner as soon as im clear of the first apex. but thats just me.

8. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

I tend to agree somewhat..i.e. rider input. Sometimes if you spin up the rear wheel it tends to feel as if your lowsiding, but in reality your not, if you stay calm, and keep the throttle steady, i.e. no more, or less gas, chances are you'll be o.k. Let the bike do the work..;)

IMHO. at this point in time, it's best when doing track days, to get some good tires meant for track riding, relax out there and have fun, getting faster will come with time. There are no trophies handed out, nor points for the fastest riders. :D

9. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

Just as a rule, the rear is always set at a lower PSI than the front. Doesn't matter if you're setting them hot or cold. So your rear was a little over-inflated, tires were street tires (some of which are perfectly fine to run track days on. I have no experience with those Michelins), maybe a little too much lean and a little too much gas let the rear break loose.

Suggestions... Go to the Dunlop guy.. get some D211-GPAs.. write down the tire pressures they tell you when you get them so you don't have to try and remember.

10. breezy619

breezy619 Well-Known Member

From watching the video many times it seems as though you can hear parts scraping the ground instantaneously as the handle bars occilate back and forth. I also noticed you were pretty unright from your shadow. I think you weren't hanging off enough for the speed you were carrying through that corner and ran out of ground clearance, but what do I know? Not much btw.

11. Mars750

Mars750 Got track...

Your suspension, did it feel like you had any feed back from your bike ?

Also, (i could be wrong) it would appear its early in the Day. Maybe needed the Chassis to warm up a bit more. Do you have Warmers ?