1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear stand without using spools?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by misterwaterfall, Aug 13, 2012.

1. misterwaterfall

misterwaterfall squid status commence

The spools snapped off of my zx6r as they were horribly welded from the factory. I have been using a paddle stand, which I have come to dislike as it slips and is never as solid as I would hope. I have seen the axle block hooks GP style, but it looks to me like they would be a bit loose when doing a rear tire change when there is no axle in place. Is that the case or am I missing another option here?

Thanks!

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

You mean this kind?

[​IMG]

They work well, not really any better than spools that are properly welded though. I don't know if they're technically SS-legal (nor do I know if anyone's anal enough to care). I'd just take the swingarm and spool blocks to the local community college and give some votech kid a 6-pack to weld them back on.

3. misterwaterfall

misterwaterfall squid status commence

Yea that's what I was referring to. Maybe that's what I'll do with the spools, and just wait until I get the shock reworked over the winter to just do it all at once

4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

What i did was just used the lifter arms shown in that picture and drilled/ tapped the swingarm. I had the same thing happen you did but lost the broken piece in the crash. I like it because they are out of the way and dont get in the way of wheel changes etc.. It takes a little room on the swingarm but I have plenty of adjustablilty for gearing changes if i need them.

ps- you can buy the lifter arm seperatly from gillies. I just chose to do it this way as the swingarm was junk to me anyway.

Attached Files:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Get new spools welded on.

6. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

That's what I had done at GMD, no issues since. The ^ pic. looks like a good idea too but may wind up in the way if running the tire rearward etc.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yea, definatly could if you run it all the way to the rear, I dont have to so I'm set, still have a long way to go before Im even close to it. I can always relief the blocks if needed as well.

8. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I have Driven axle blocks with Pit-bull swingarm spools on the gsxr

[​IMG]

9. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Problem with the Driven, is that I think you cannot take the wheel off with them....

10. VTRDarren

VTRDarren Well-Known Member