1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading the Rule book DOES NOT HELP!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by DAL, Aug 5, 2004.

1. DAL

DAL Active Member

I have been told about a million times on the BBS and in person at the track that everyone has a copy of the rules. Just read them and you will be legal. That is not true. Clearly there are changes to the rules that are known to some and not to others. I will give an example.... Rule Book Chapter 9 Section 4 Subsection g.. The last six words in that section clearly state that Double Bubble Windscreens are NOT allowed.

However, I have been told verbally by some people that they are legal, and they must be because they went through tech at Summit Point.

In the rule book Chapter 9 secetion 4 dealing with the SS class it states that if it says it is not allowed, it is not allowed. It also says if it does not say you can, you can't. Yet here we go with something that it says you can't, but you can.

If this is true, how can you build a SS bike that conforms to the rules if there are unpublished exceptions to the rules. These exceptions as I have been told are only for certain bikes.

Who do you call to find out the rules have been modified for you particular bike in a particular class?

How can you defend yourself at tech if the Inspector is not aware of this unwritten rule change and he goes by the published rule book which clearly states that the part is illegal.

Remember the Inspectors word is final!!!!!!!

When an additional washer under the gas tank (which is not clearly ( by this I mean it does not say "washers under the gas tank are not allowed ") are illegal, how should I know that something that the rule book clearly states is ILLEGAL is legal.

My point here is that I don't want anyone else to tell me to read the rule book. I have read it and it does not clarify how to race legally.

What is, or has been wrong with a bike is not important to this discussion. What is important is......Where is the list of unwritten rule modifications that have been granted for a specific class/bike.

Please, before you start beating me up for this post read my other posts on the situation. I agree with teardowns.... I agree with random teardowns..... I agree with protests.... I think they should be done more often. But for any of this to work there has to be a set of rules that I can use to either state that something is legal or not.

Hypothetical Situation: Let say you finished fourth and you really for some reason felt that the guy who finished third was illegal. You don't know what is in his engine but you do know that his windscreen is clearly illegal by the rules of the class. You lay your money down just to get told that unknown to you that rule does not apply to this particular bike. Would you be pissed off?

I have never protested anyone, and will not.. I just want to know that everyone has access to ALL the rules.

2. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

I'll bet you a green bananna that if you follow the rule book you won't ever be declared illegal. Your cite of the double bubble doesn't support your argument, because if you followed the book and didn't use one you could not get into trouble.

3. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

*There are no bodywork limits in LWT.

That is taken straight from the rulebook. Bodywork includes windscreen.

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Right!

5. mad brad

mad brad Guest

RTGDMFCSRBYMFAH!!

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2004
  6. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

One other small point. The tech inspection in the morning is to check for the safety related requirements spelled out in the rulebook, not to check for class compliance to the rules.

7. DAL

DAL Active Member

Taken straight from the Rule Book.. That's great!!! Where? What chapter and what section? I clearly stated that in Chapter 9 Section 4 subsection g the last six words it states "Double Bubble windscreens are NOT ALLOWED.

It does not say may be allowed. It doesn't say that it could be allowed. It says they are NOT ALLOWED!!!!!

It could be that Windscreens are considered body work, but it could also be assumed that it is not because of the above statement.

All I want is clarification. For those of us who don't have all the answers all we want is to be able to ask questions without being given a bunch of crap.

8. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

You need to read the whole rule book.

9. YamRZ350

Page 36 about half way down the page.

10. DAL

DAL Active Member

And when one section of the rule book clearly disagrees with another section of the rule book do I simply believe the one I want too?

11. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

and commit it to memory, like Paige. :D

This is the main reason I run Clubman:

6. FORMULA 1, FORMULA 2, 125cc GRAND PRIX and Clubman (or any subsection of a class that specifies “Formula Rules”) Have no restrictions other than displacement, fuel limits as outlined in Chapter 8, and configuration as outlined below.
    Unlimited displacement 2 & 4-stroke singles

12. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Dude, scroll down to your particular class under that same section.

13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Relax Dal .. SVs are the exception to that rule. Even though not mentioned specifically, the windscreen is part of the bodywork and thus, legal in SS for the SV.

14. YamRZ350

Yes.

15. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Can I run a smoke double bubble?:confused: ;)

16. YamRZ350

What class?

17. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Sorry, lame attempt at humor. But I suppose you could in Clubman.

18. YamRZ350

I know. That was my lame attempt right back.

Kinda sad really.

19. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Correct. Or a refashioned turkey roasting pan. :D

20. oldguy

oldguy NC novice old dude

Potty mouth !:D