1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rd250

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by ammomac, Nov 16, 2002.

1. ammomac

ammomac Well-Known Member

Morning Guys, i have a chance to pick up a clean RD 250 locally and wondered if it would make a decent track bike?

I'm not so much worried about being really fast, just want something different, that i can make handle well, and put some body work on to look like the old style gp bikes.

what do you think?

Mac

2. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

An RD250 will make a fine track/race bike. All the suspension and body upgrades available for the 350 will work, as they are the same. Also, the TZ stuff from the twin shock period all fits the frame with minor mods. The RD250 motor can be made to be really fast if you want. I raced my RD250 with '80 TZ pipes and some portwork ( didn't raise the exhaust port as high as a TZ) and it worked great. Good transfer portwork pays bigtime.

3. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

Mac:
    I echo what Carl said, the RD250 can be a great track bike. It would be a plus if it was one of the later ones with the disc brake. If not, you could swap out a RD 350 front end so you could get a disc. If you do that you will need the complete front end off the 350 as the 250 triple clamp is narrower than that on the 350 (difference in brake designs). I raced an RD 250 for many years and they are great bikes. If you want more info contact me at: [email protected].
    Lyn Garland