1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rat Bastards!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by number41, Mar 14, 2005.

1. number41

number41 Well-Known Member

Damn...........I can't believe the price dealers charge to mount tires!!!! So, I just moved back from Italy, where the tires cost like $300 for a front and $400 for a rear, but the shops only charge $5 to mount a set. The other day I took my wheels down to get a set of tires mounted (haven't convinced the wife that I need a tire mounting machine yet:D ) and they wanted $25 to mount a tire bought from them, and $45 to mount a tire bought somewhere else!!! Talk about highway robbery! Am I just being a cheap-ass here, or is that ridiculous?

2. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

I don't know.....

We only buy ours at the track and then the price includes mounting. :Poke:

:beer:

3. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

I will gladly mount and balance your tires for free if you pay me $700.00 a pair.

4. number41

I didn't

Oh, trust me, I didn't pay $700 a set. I bought them on line for 350 a set and had them mounted for cheap. Now that I'm back here, my mounting discount has expired and it's really chapping my ass that dealers charge that much. Insanity I tell ya!

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

$25 isn't bad to mount tires.

6. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

no but $45 is

7. dtalbott

So next time you go to your favorite expensive restuarant, pick up the ingredients at a local grocery store and negotiate for a lower price on the meal, since you are supplying the ingredients.

8. number41

45 is too much

Like I said, $25 seems like a lot to me, but $45 is definitely way too much. I guess, it just seems f'd up b/c I can buy the tires much cheaper on line and just have the dealer mount them, but he rapes me on the mounting charge. I mean, I would have no problem buying the tires from the dealer, even with a little mark-up, just to keep them in business, but it seems like the dealer mark-up the tires so much that it is ridiculous. Anyway, Darrin, why don't shops charge less for tires? I understand that they have contracts to fulfill, etc, but it seems like they could get a contract with the same supplier that sells directly to me, so that they only had to charge a little more than what I pay. Then I would have no problem taking my tires to them to be mounted. Know what I mean?

9. dtalbott

I don't know anything about a tire contract, and I don't know why dealers charge what they charge.

Question: if a dealer mounts a tire and there is a problem, who is liable, the dealer or the mail-order supplier?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  10. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

Follow these directions very very carefully....

1. sign up on bridgestones tire plan
    2. see stickboy :D

11. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

You got screwed. Get some friends together and buy a tire machine if you can. It is the best thing you could do. Of course it is a little expensive up front, but hey think long term.

12. AL GOODWIN

AL GOODWIN Well-Known Member

The dealership that I worked at, D&H Cycle Cullman Alabama, would only mount tires bought in house.
    Insurance liability would not allow the installation of equipment not purchased from the dealership.

Good thing is, if you just brought in the rim off the bike, mounting of tires included with price of tire.

Tire mounting with rims still on bike depended on the bike. Royal Stars cost a bit more that Yamaha GTS.:D

13. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

But why?

14. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

15. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Bull, it takes 5 minutes to change tires.

16. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

not when you have to pull have the back of the bike off to get there!

some of the new royal stars and stuff are pretty bad! very heavy, and lots o stuff in the way

17. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Not really. By the time a tech leaves what her or she is doing and gets the tires and wheels and removes old skins, mounts new skins, returns them to the customer and gets back to teh job they left its an hour. $75 an hour is fair.

The bump is because they know you are mail ordering I guess.

18. alpinestars260

alpinestars260 supermoto Member

down here in sc there is a place that does both tires for $26 and balances them and all that good stuff...

19. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Sounds like a dealer to me :Poke:

20. scotth

scotth Banned

the flat rate in toledo, ohio is $75?!?!?

wow...I think $35 an hour is excessive and the $45 to $50 getting charged here is larceny. $30 is fair for an hour of tire mounting time. but really, you should learn to mount your own tires. or else let the vendor do it at the track.