1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ranking pre 2011 1000 track bikes

Discussion in 'Tech' started by randy955i, Mar 13, 2014.

1. randy955i

randy955i Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is looking at moving up to a liter bike. budget constraints etc, has him basically looking at 05 - 10 model years. We have done some reviews and have put our list together. Primarily the list is based on the intersection of bike features, availability and price. So for example the ZX10R might be a better track day bike, but the expected cost differential between a 2010 ZX10 vrs a 2006 GSXR gives the GSXR the better overall value.

just wondering if anyone has any other comments.

2006 Suzuki GSXR
    2009 CBR 1000RR
    2009 Yamaha R1
    2010 Kawasaki ZX10R
    2009 Aprilia RSVR Factory
    2010 BMW S1000RR
    Ducati (primarily because of cost of ownership)
    KTM (primarily because of cost of ownership)

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Budget constraints? Wait until he goes through twice as many rear tires..... I have a 09 GSX-R 1000 For sale in the classifieds here and am going back to a 600 for that reason...

3. randy955i

you do not have to tell me. I already told him that. I think he just has to learn this lesson himself. I am not sure how many people need to tell him that for him to believe it. He just happens to like Barber, VIR and Road Atlanta a lot. And many times he might only get 8 - 10 track days to ride in a season. So he wants to try a liter bike on these big tracks.

4. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

He should try a GSXR 750. Almost as fast as 1000 and still uses a 180 tire.

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I agree with the others, GSXR 750. It will go plenty fast enough, has better torque, less likely to highside yourself to the moon, smaller tire bill. Similar power to my 2003 R1, but a bit less torque.

If he gets the Honda - budget for a shock or at least a rework of the stock one if this has not been done. Immediately. The stock one in not good for track duty.

6. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Of all the liter bikes for that time frame I would go GSXR all the way. I wouldn't even look at the Aprilia, Ducati, KTM, or Kawasaki. Best bets are the GSXR or CBR in terms of parts and knowledge. I would personally get the GSXR over the CBR just due to power.

7. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

06-07 ZX10R are good track bikes as well. If considering a 05-06 GSXR 1000, I wouldn't rule out the 06-07 ZX10R. Ridden both on the track, both equally capable, both same/similar features.

The newer ZX-10Rs (08+) do have better feeling stock brakes than the older ones though, including the GSXR. I would still just consider the 3rd gen a minor improvement over the 2nd gen ZX10R. Now the 4th gen (2011+), very nice!

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

G.O.A.T.

9. randy955i

The GSXR 750 06 - 09 has been discussed. that was my first choice as well. but just for conversation starter we wanted to limit it to liter bikes. We will have to research the 06-07 ZX10R. Maybe our first research was limited so we crossed off the year/model combination.
    We are assuming steel braided brake lines, upgraded rear shock, and front suspension on all bikes. Probably not Ohlins front end, but upgraded internals is the plan.

sorry have no idea what G.O.A.T means.

10. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

G reatest
    O f
    A ll
    T ime

And i'd always been told the 2005 model GSXR 1000 was the best ever built.

11. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

till it meets a zx10r on the straights. :crackup:

12. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

GOAT doesnt necessarily mean "fastest in a straight line. :D

13. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

Racing forum.
    Trackday bike questions.
    Budget 1000cc recommendations.
    :eek: :confused:

14. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Why leave out the 07-08 GSXR 1000. Arguably the best year for the 1000.
    Oh, and btw, I have an 07 1000 street bike that is fully equipped for the track. :D
    http://weraclassifieds.com/ads/07-gsxr-1000-racestreet/#axzz2vjrIJ8I4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

16. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

05-08 gsx-r 1000 case closed

17. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

which year zuks were the ones that needed a 25lb plate welded to them because of the frames snapping like Goat legs?

18. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

05-06 But I think was more due to douche pipes slammin the front end down after a sweet ass 100 mph stand up wheelies:D

19. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

so all the other bikes needed them also?
    or are you saying that 05-06 zuks are only ridden by douche pipes? :D

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It was the only year that they brought a class action suit against because that was the bike some 21 yr old kid's dad bought as his first bike and he launched it down the street and the frame snapped when it crashed.

But they'll all do it if you crash them properly

07-08 1000

[​IMG]

zx-10

[​IMG]

R1 (I don't think this one was even crashed)

[​IMG]