1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ramp-door TENTS (for enclosed trailer)

Discussion in 'General' started by rk97, Jun 22, 2016.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

If my thread title isn't an adequate description, this is what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

I saw this setup at the track last weekend, and it seems like a good way to gain interior "living" space without sacrificing the utility of your trailer, or limiting your resale market.

Has anyone used this kind of setup? My primary concern is how it withstands rain and wind.

This would turn a 6x12 trailer into 6x18(ish).

Wvguy and r6boater like this.
  2. Phl218

Phl218 .

:up:

never used it but i like the concept.

sound and thermal insulation are prolly not that good either though..

3. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I have seen them over the years, I personally never seen one come apart even at places like beaver run that has some crazy winds.

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

seems neat, but as I see it you'll have to walk thru your "living/bed room" to access your garage/shop area. I'd rather have a separate tent with a screen room attached.

5. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I like it. That would be handy when pulling up to the gate too late and camping outside the gate. Assuming it set's up easily vs. having to unload bikes/gear to get a mattress down.

6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Only issue I'd see is with temperature extremes.......what little insulation an enclosed trailer has (or can be improved upon with some mods) is essentially lost with something like that, though possibly not really much worse than similar trailers with fold-out beds installed into the sides.

Otherwise a great idea that turns something that can only haul gear into a pretty usable space.

7. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Seems like a good EZ up with walls would be more versatile, oh and a couple of breeko blocks to support the ramp to for some MetalHead style.

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

We looked at the ramp rooms, then we thought about walls for an ezup as a better solution. Ended up with this tent that hangs from an ezup, it has a floor, screen doors and windows, etc.. The kids love it, we love it because the kids are somewhere else LOL. It kept them dry during that monsoon at Roebling a few weeks ago so it gets two thumbs up from us. <edit> We got a big piece of painter canvas that covers the floor and a couple of army style cots.

[​IMG]

noles19, t11ravis, TSC_113 and 2 others like this.
  9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I would want to find a canvas model. Those tend to hold (and keep out) heat better.

I was searching for said canvas trailer tent and found 10x14 free-standing canvas tent options for $575 that are almost exclusively 5-star reviews. That's a lot of coin to drop on a tent, but it's also twice as much space as the trailer itself!

https://www.amazon.com/Kodiak-Canva...F8&qid=1466604938&sr=1-2&keywords=canvas+tent

And this would allow me to continue rolling with my open trailer, and not have to purchase or store an enclosed model.

10. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

just remember... you have to haul it so, somewhere you will be losing storage space. Ski

11. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

This is great! Is the tent made for the ezup?

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Yes, website linked below shows the different models for different ezup styles. One we bought was an XL. You do need an ezup with an open canopy, if the frame has the middle supports the ceiling is not going to work properly.

This is the site.

14. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Seems like a nice canopy with walls would work the same.

CK from NC likes this.
  15. CK from NC

CK from NC Active Member

Another vote for ez up with walls. Seems far more practical and versatile

16. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

No floor, no screens, etc. etc..

17. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

So where did the OP get the pic of that set up? I'd be interested in getting more info on that set up...

18. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

We have a tent that uses the same theory but it's for suv's, vans, cars etc. Sportz tent I believe. Can use it as a stand alone normal tent or unzip a window and use a sock to connect to a vehicle. Cool setup, works well. I wanted to get a setup like in the original post, connect to an enclosed trailer but never got around to it.

19. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I just did a google image search for ramp door tent.

20. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Never saw the need for a floor to go with the walls though I always had a rug or padded mats in the pits. Pretty sure you can get walls with screens.