1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radon Remediation questions

Discussion in 'General' started by kyle carver, Feb 19, 2021.

1. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

I need to install a remediation system. A few questions. How noisy is the fan. Can you hear the air moving through the pipe? Any good brands on fans. thanks

2. Before I can give you answers, I have a question...

What’s a remediation system?

Sabre699 likes this.
  3. G2G

G2G I feel the need

You cannot even hear it. I have one in my house and its in the basement in the utility room. Very quite

4. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

It’s like buying a bike with White wheels and you having to have them painted black to keep from snapping :D

Gorilla George and Sabre699 like this.
  5. kyle carver

G2G thanks. Does yours vent out the wall or up through the roof?

6. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Most houses around me have them. Sort of standard protocol. I don’t know what they make the fans from, but they seem to last forever. Mine pops out the wall at the basement level and then goes up a few feet above the roof with an ABS vent pipe. Super quiet in general and you definitely don’t hear it from inside the house.

I was a little worried to buy a house with a remediation system (fan that sucks air from / creates a vacuum under the slab to capture and expel any radon gas before it could seep into the house), but after I understood it better, it’s cheap insurance in case there ever was a bit of radon gas seeping up from the ground. I’d rather have a house with one to be sure rather than a house that was borderline needing one and not having it.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

if condensation got inside youd hear gurgling. Also if the pits arent dug correctly youll get noise.
    Radonaway is the top manufacturer... if you buy at a box retailer the warranty is limited vs buying from a local pro provider where you get 5 years prorated.
    If your slab has cracks putting negative pressure on it will make it whistle...lol Then theres the proper fall for horizontal runs, etc. Youll need a core drill to get a proper sized bore.

8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I never notice any sound. Mine comes out the wall and goes up the side of the house.

Took my radon levels from 5.9 (EPA recommends under 4) to below 1.

9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

At what level do pets start glowing in the dark

10. kyle carver

Thanks, lots of information. To tie this to racing, I can’t hear squat, remember ear plugs. But I need the unit to be quite to keep the wife quite. Thanks

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Only when you have organics decaying.... Right, @G97?

:D

12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

You won’t hear jack nor shit.

The fan motor can’t be in habitable space. Either outside or in the attic space.

13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Ahh, the building inspector has arrived.

14. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

You may be able to hear the fan on the outside of the house. Because you don't know that the fan is running, you won't know when it quits. So you get one of these inside the home.

Attached Files:

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. kyle carver

Pickled Egg, there is my problem. I have two routes, one through the basement wall. Easier. Or go right through the middle of the house. No bends, I can use 6 inch pipe. Problem is the fan will bre right over the kitchen and living room. Every day I bounce back and forth over which one.

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Radon is the #2 cause of lung cancer. You can't test the soil or land for Radon, but it is pretty easy to rid. I always use the best vapor barrier I can anytime I pour concrete in a living area or build a foundation, that plastic can help with lowering Radon levels.

@kyle carver I would go through the basement wall.

beac83 likes this.
  17. kyle carver

I’m laying on the couch on Sat morning and just realized where the fan would be in relation to the living area. To get to the attic, it’s a trial and tribulation. It would only be 15 feet from where I watch cartoons. That sucker is going outside. That was easy

Razr likes this.
  18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

for a residential application? Biggest diameter you'd need is 3"... but 2" works very well in most residential applications.
    Is the basement elevation livable? How have you determined the levels inside the structure on all the occupiable elevations?
    Did you get any quotes from local providers?
    Before I engaged in any DIY'er radon stuff Id be doing a 90 day or longer test to see what the levels are.

19. kyle carver

TurboBlew. You helped me once before, thanks. The basement isn’t livable but the shop and gym area is down there, so in the winter I spend most of my waking hours down there. I had a test done s couple of years ago. Long term and the level in the upstairs was 8. On of many projects I’m just getting around to. And yes I’m beginning another long term test to see what I have now. And thanks again

20. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

You had an 8 in your upstairs? Holy shit? What part of the country are you in?

I’ve got a basement in my house that I have my bedroom in. I did two separate radon tests last year.. one mail in and one a plug in from Amazon that I borrowed from my neighbor.. both came back low, but this thread has me worried again so I ordered a long term monitoring system from Amazon I can just leave downstairs to keep an eye on things.

TurboBlew likes this.