1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing an Older 600

Discussion in 'Tech' started by HenryZX6R, May 23, 2010.

1. HenryZX6R

HenryZX6R Well-Known Member

Looking at picking up a 1st gen R6 (yeah, not as old as the vintage guys run, but it sure ain't new) as a track toy for next year when I am back in the US full time.

Any issues with carb'd bikes needing a lot more maintenance than their fuel injected counterparts? I assume it's going to need to be taken care of a bit more than new bikes, but as long as I am not having to do major maintenance on it I'll be happy.

2. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

i ran a carb'd bike for a while on the track.....used lots of seafoam, but other than that, no problems at all. issue with the track bike is if it sits for months without running, the carbs gunk up and it will run poorly. seafoam always got mine clean. mine was a '97.

3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I've got an 95 F3 with 5XXXXkms on it that lives in the trailer between races, and all winter. Starts and runs like a top everytime. Only time I've turned a wrench on it in the two years I've had it was to replace crash parts, and change fluids. I know I should probably pay more attention to it, and I will in another month when I move and have a garage, but right now I don't have the space or time.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  4. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

It wont need any more maint than a new bike if its in good shape.:beer:

5. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Use "stabil" in the fuel if it's going to sit more than three weeks..

6. walladm

walladm #147

+1 - Past maintenance of carbs will play a little factor there... My F3 with about a billion track miles runs really well, but I try to start it every week and keep fresh fuel in it. Carbs don't really require more maintenance until you let gas varnish - then you have a lot of cleaning work to do on a lot of small pieces. A dyno tune gives you good peace of mind, knowing that the fuel/air mixture is right and the carb is properly jetted. You can read the plugs and determine that, but who want's to waste track time pulling spark plugs and tweaking the carbs? :beer: