1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

race withdrawal...

Discussion in 'General' started by mmfoor, Aug 5, 2017.

1. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

I am finally at rest! after 45 years of racing I have come to grips w/the reality of age/injury/selfish/stupid behavior! Last race as a rider was 11 months ago. Going out on a high w/good lap times and such. Sold the race bike, street bike is for sale, keeping the PCX 150 Honda.

Those that know me through here and FB can easily identify my bipolar up and down tendancies. TBI is forever and I am all good w/the reality for friends, family, wallet...

Plans: attend WERA events when I can, next being the GNF at Barber.

Friends: I have literally race and street parts from present to way back such as sprockets, cables, assorted parts, etc. Like to give my close race family first dibs but after that all is free to first takers. Leathers, boots, helmets, gloves and such as well. Full mx gear my size and my son's size when he was a young teen. Wanna get back with my WERA family as a friend/fan/spectator RV camper.

Be smart, be safe. Don't take the WERA folks for granted. They are the best!!!

Shalom my friends

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You could also try cornerworkin' gigs. Kinda keeps ya "in the action".

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You should hit up the local indoor kart track.

badmoon692008, scottn, Phl218 and 6 others like this.
  4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

need to look into enduro riding. compete in age categories if over 30.. guys doing it well into 60's and a few well after that.

terminus est and Razr like this.
  5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.......

6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

lol because bouncing his head off of a tree is better than concrete!

Phl218 and Gorilla George like this.
  7. MELK-MAN

i'm not saying it's without any risk. But most enduros are 2nd gear, some 3rd.. only fast guys will be in a gear higher than that aside from the 5-10 mile transfers that are often on dirt or paved roads. If ya are even remotely in tune with your riding ability, you can ride for years without injury. MX or dirt track? lil' different story. you are GONNA crash on an mx track, often in spectacular fashion, often from heights that ensure injury.

Endruo is about finesse .. can you get hurt? ab-so-effin-lutely. But i would say there is way less risk in enduro competition compared to some other 2wheel motorsport.. harescrambles/GNCC are another story. It's not exactly mx , but you are taking off when the horn blows with everyone else in your class, all fighting for position into turn 1. Enduro ? you take off on each 6-12 mile section (usually 5-6 sections ) with 4-5 riders. You quickly sort out who you let go first, and you can just take off last if you like. At the last national endruo , i was on a row with a 60+B ridr, a 200A rider, and a 30+A rider. I slotted in right behind the 30+A and 200A guys , we had a ball chasing each other for 60 miles. When you hear a rider from a row behind come up, let em by. You are competing with riders on the other 100 or more rows .. you would have to be dreadfully slow to not arrive at each check point wtihout time to spare, and shoot the breeze with other riders till it's time to go for the next section.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    rdracer134 likes this.
  8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Bro I'm fucking with you. I ran hate scrambles pretty competitively before switching to asphalt. Love me some woods riding.

galloway840 and MELK-MAN like this.
  9. MELK-MAN

man.. i really gotta figure that stuff out (when people are pullin my chain) .. LOL !

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Captain verbose Jr?

GixxerBlade likes this.
  11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Would an "I'm just fuckin' with ya." smiley help? :D

12. MELK-MAN

woulda made a world of difference ! :) (seriously )

blew out my posting thumb on that novel ! didn't wanna leave anything out. But not sure if it's exactly "Broomesk" material yet though.

13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Watch the movie, The Accountant, you'll learn about scarcasm. :whoosh:

Phl218 likes this.
  14. MELK-MAN

have seen it 3 times in the past 2 weeks.. did you read Robby-Bobbie's post ? i'm guessin it went over your head too.. don't fool yourself. And that movie is gonna teach you about sarcasm? perhaps lack of it ;)

15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

No. Affleck's character had a difficult time understanding/reading a person's emotions until he met the old dude in prison who help him recognize emotions.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. MELK-MAN

so a one line post (written), with no emoticons or "i'm fucking with you" afterward, makes me similar to him (minus the genius part) ... got it. gracious. Lets get back to helping mmfoor find a post-racing hobby that will keep him entertained.

speedluvn likes this.
  17. jim weaver

jim weaver Well-Known Member

heck ,go and help officiate,corner work . or ask mongo for a job. with your experence you could tech or a lot of other things. you would be part of the big picture.

18. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

You don't need to race to stay involved with the 2 wheel addiction. Build a cafe bike, go ride trails, build a motor...

Ken Mcdonald likes this.
  19. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

My grandkids have a 4-wheel Polaris thing. Maybe a 4-wheeler/ATV?
    My fear of 2-wheels is I have a very bad history. Working with my new R knee presently.

20. tz_eric

tz_eric Well-Known Member

This explains a lot. :p

Good luck Morris. My last race was in 2002. I would like to race again some day, but I can accept the fact that it might not happen.