1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race School in NewJersey or New York

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by nortstudio, Nov 23, 2011.

1. nortstudio

nortstudio Member

New to the forum, so hello from Brooklyn!

I am flirting with the idea of getting started with racing. After looking on the WERA site, and the NJMP (seem like the closest rack to me) I have not been able to find an accredited school in my area for a license. So I searched here, and there was nothing that came back about NJ racing schools???

Any guidance and/or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Roger Lyle's Motorcycle Xcitement offers WERA-approved race licensing school. They will have a few NJMP dates in 2010, but the schedule dates have not been posted yet. Drop an email to [email protected] and ask to be put on the email list for announcements.

Both WERA and Motorcycle Xcitement offer WERA and CCS-approved race school at Summit Point, WV several times next season. Again, wait for the schedules to be posted, WERA usually posts in December, Roger Lyle a little later.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

will they be giving rides in the time machine? :D

Nort... there are a few schools in FL over the winter. Nothing but a plane ticket and maybe a few bucks could get you a bike to take a class with. :up:

4. nortstudio

nortstudio Member

Thanks guys. I've seen one company that i think offers sessions NJMP - team Pro-Motion. Not sure if some schools are better than others (i would assume they are), But I'm not sure if they are accredited toward getting a license.

I'm a little surprised that the WERA site doesn't have it prominently displayed on their main site. I saw one forum member had a signature that made it seem like he worked for WERA, and mentioned "our race schools" but I have seen nothing on the site itself. Weird. You'd think making it easy to find info would help get over the hump of the initial costs for many riders.

I'm going to focus on some track days, get my ducks in a row, and plan for next year hopefully. I'm just looking to have fun, and while track days seem to provide plenty of fun, I fall into the category of someone who improves more with a little healthy competition.

Appreciate the help.

5. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

On the main wera site it says that wera holds a race school on Saturday's during race weekends except for NATIONAL rounds. Iirc it is in the rulebook posted online. It also lists a few outside sources for approved classes.

6. nortstudio

nortstudio Member

I saw that. I should have clarified - I had not seen anything listed with addresses. I'm going to email them.

I didn't see any details about the Saturday classes, although I did see the mention of it. Hopefully an email will get me all the info I need.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

TPM's school is not recognized by WERA, only CCS. These are the WERA recognized school. Look at their 2012 schedules and find which are coming to NJMP. FYI, WERA does not race at NJMP so it might not be a terrible idea to go to Summit since they DO race there.

WERA recognizes the following motorcycle ROADRACING schools as the requirement for obtaining a Provisional Novice License:
    WERA New Riders’ School,
    Jason Pridmores STAR School,
    Fast Track Riders school,
    Ed Bargy’s Rider School,
    Kevin Schwantz Suzuki School,
    Corner Speed,
    Team Chicago School,
    F.A.S.T. (Canadian),
    CLASS,
    Team Hammer Advanced Riders’ School,
    Track Riders,
    MARRC,
    Freddie Spencer,
    Viking Race School,
    California Superbike (must take the classroom part of WERA’s school),
    RPM Track School,
    Ty Howards Racing School 35,
    Sportbike Track Time Pro School.,
    Champion Sportbike Club,
    Wizard Racing School,
    Penguin School.

8. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Your list left off Roger Lyle's Motorcycle Xcitement which offers WERA and CCS-approved racing school. The list in the WERA rule book is NOT complete, an issue that had been brought to their attention almost a year ago. One would assume that a company that might thrive or die on just a few new entries at each event would pay attention to details like that, but so far, it has not happened.

disclaimer: I am one of the instructors for the Motorcycle Xcitement Racing School. We have certified many future racers through the school, and I am certain that some have gone on to race with WERA, because I see them at WERA events. That's kind of the whole point.

As was pointed out previously, you are not likely to find many WERA-certified schools associated with NJMP, since WERA doesn't have events there, at least so far. Motorcycle Xcitement will have a few 2012 dates at NJMP, and the school will probably be run in conjunction with those dates, if there is sufficient interest. If you want or plan to ride WERA events, I suggest that you get familiar with Summit Point because it is the closest facility to Brooklyn that WERA uses. I know a lot of NYC guys race there frequently, so the distance is not a great issue for them.

If you do decide to go to Summit, WERA also has their own race school at the Sportsman Series events. That IS covered in the rule book.

9. nortstudio

nortstudio Member

I appreciate all the help. I think I'll step back and take it slow. I'm sure meeting some people at the local track days should lead to some info and possible hook ups for shared rides etc.

I was a little surprised when I first looked. I saw schools mentioned, but without a home/contact address, I'd have to check every place in the "Northeast" section to see which is nearest to me.

To be fair, I looked on the CCS site, and theirs is not much more informative.

I'll keep at it, and I'm sure I'll find all the info I need. I do enjoy this forum - very helpful and maybe if I'm able to gather this local NYC area list, I'll suggest it for a sticky. :)

10. joec

joec brace yourself

if you want one sooner than 2010...i see the schwantz school is going to be at nashville on the 23rd of september 2011......

11. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Huh...????? :D

12. joec

joec brace yourself

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry but while we accept those schools, we're not really in the business of advertising for them.

We do have our own school and it'll be noted on the yearly schedule by an "rs" after the event (once the 2012 schedule is done). It's pretty basic but will teach what you need to know to go racing.

14. nortstudio

nortstudio Member

Mongo, while I can understand WERA not being "in the business of advertising for them" - you do require that people attend these type of schools for permission to race in your organization.

I could see, as a business choice, making a very clear, distinct placement for your own schools, and a smaller, less highlighted placement for the other schools - but no matter which school is highlighted, I feel that info about how to get a license, and details about where (geographically) that can happen, should be a prominent part of the WERA site.

I am just making an observation about the difficulty of finding this information on the WERA site and elsewhere. It's step 1 to participation in your program, yet I had difficulty finding this info. For the record, on the links section, there is a race school section, and the WERA sponsored school info is not even listed. While there are indeed 4 schools listed, only one says in the link where it runs (Virginia), and only the Kevin Schwantz school has a clear page for which tracks they run at (all over a day's drive for me).

Believe me, after looking on the WERA site - I immediately searched Google with terms for "race schools in New Jersey" and "race schools in New York" and came up with no concrete info as to whether they are sanctioned by WERA or not. As a small business owner myself, I would find this alarming.

But I don't own your business, so it's just an observation. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I will keep an eye out for the updated listing for 2012.

Thanks,

Scott

15. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Your best bet would be to find an organization that offers a race school and then email WERA to see if they'll accept their program for your provisional novice license. (If it's not listed in the rulebook) BTW, make sure you read the rule book a few times before you go to race school. It'll help out a lot.

I ended up getting the school through Motorycle Xcitement because I couldn't make the available date for the WERA school. Not only that, but If you take a school on friday and pass, you can then race Saturday and Sunday with WERA.

Another reason I thought the way I did it was better for me, was that I didn't want an all out jump up to a race weekend after having not ridden on a track all "off season".

Good luck, and hope to see you out there in 2012!

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We list those schools as a courtesy to potential racers who may have already taken them. Our school is the one we prefer. If you are planning on racing, you'll already be at the track that weekend so you take the school on Saturday and race on Sunday.

I totally agree our site is lacking in information for getting started other than this forum.

17. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

check your private messages.

- jim

18. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

Do have dates for the next schools? I have a few equipment questions can I ask here?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ask away. I don't have the schedule for 2012 done just yet sorry.

20. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

Is there a experation date on boots and gloves? Is any gaunlitte style glove allowed? Astar sp8 is what I have and my boots date 03