1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race Report From the Windy City / Rosamond!!! Part 2

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by busapwr, May 19, 2004.

1. busapwr

busapwr The Moto Guy!!!

After a short break from talking with my guests, I managed to eat a small lunch and get ready to make the enormous effort to race the fastest racers on the fastest bikes in the third race of the day, 12 laps we call Formula 1.

I was gridded 7th in a field of 23. This race had me reaching for the stars again. I got another great start and made my way into turn one in about fifth position. As the leaders started to accelerate into turn two I noticed my Super Stock bike and lack of talent, compared to the fastest riders in WSMC, had my bike and I slowly going backwards. Luckily, I still had my skill, riding my under classed bike to almost it’s potential, to keep the leaders in sight. The chase was on. As I made my way around the track corner by corner, I noticed only a very small handful of bikes make their way past me, and when they did get around me they never ran away from me. I had the desire to catch the four riders directly in front of me; numbers 28, 9, 62, and 109. I knew the chances of making a pass stick on this crowd would be difficult, but without the effort this wouldn’t be racing. I kept on their heels for about three or four laps, inching my way closer each 2-1/2 miles. On the second to the last lap I decided it was time to make my move on number 28. He was the weakest of this strong group of riders and I had learned not to wait until the end of the race to make a move if at all possible. I passed number 28 and made it stick, just before my buddy number 191 crashed out of the race in turn eight, at about 160 mph, and causing a race ending red flag. I made the pass at the right time and ended up finishing in 9th place, since I made the pass on the lap prior to the red flag. Another entrance into the give away for a new Toyota truck at the end of the race year.

The final race of this past weekend was the Open Super Bike race. I was in the 6th spot on the grid of 15 racers. I finished in the same position in which I started but the race had many intriguing adventures intertwined as the 6 laps transpired. The first lap had me flying from my starting position up the ladder to about 4th by turn 1, I have finally figured out how to make my bike accelerate at an unbelievable speed. I barely wheelie it and the clutch is hooking up better than any contestant on Blind Date. I knew this race would be similar to the past race with the one exception of being half as long. I got to dice with number 109 again and number 20 coming down to a last lap avoidance of a terrible tank slapping number 20 and second from the last lap nearly disastrous low side in turn eight by number 109.

As the race started to heat up, number 109 tried to pass me with the now extremely high velocity wind gusts blowing at about 35-40 mph. He made a pass coming out of turn 6 and tried to lead me into turn eight, my favorite high-speed turn. Since he had followed me for several laps, he gauged how fast he would have to go to make a pass stick against me in that area of the racetrack. He under estimated how fast we were actually going in the gusty conditions late in the afternoon and as he entered turn eight on this second from the last lap, his rear wheel decided it was time to put a little fear into his heart. I watched the bike step out a good couple of feet and number 109’s passenger collect it just before breaching the white line that separates dirt from asphalt. Not a great place to have such a moment, but if you save it, well worth the entrance fee to that amusement park ride. I congratulated him later on the miraculous save. Needless to say, he finished behind me in this race.

Now came my assault on number 20, my other archenemy of this race weekend. I saw the rear wheel of his bike drawing me closer. I stuck to him like glue for the final lap and decided it was an all or nothing effort for the final finishing position of this day’s races. I drafted him into turn eight and set him up for the final drag race to the stripe. Unfortunately, the drafting didn’t last long. We both drove out of turn 9 at a feverous pace. I sat on his rear wheel looking to the finishing line with only thought in my mind; beat him to that white line. Just as we pushed our bikes to their acceleration limits, his broke into a vicious tank slapper. Before he knew it, I was blasting past him about 40 mph faster than he had just been traveling down the front straight. I managed not to target fixate on his rear wheel once I caught him, and that fact saved us both from almost certain pain in the wallet as well as from serious injury.

All in all a great new beginning to the rest of this race year with a completely set up Super Stock GSXR-1000.

First, I will thank my wife, and children for their undying support. I know they enjoy coming out to the track, but a huge Thank You is always in order, since they sacrifice some of their personal time to be with Dad, and his personal interests. Thanks you Jodie, Josephine, Sebastian, and Valentino.

Secondly, I want to thank all of my race sponsors, for without my family and their support, I would be in even more debt. I appreciate all of your personal as well as company’s help. Thank you.

Suzuki of Van Nuys - www.suzukiofvannuys.com
    Simi Valley Cycles - www.simivalleycycle.com
    Motul - www.motul.com
    Galfer USA - www.galferusa.com
    Lockhart Phillips USA - www.lockhartphillipsusa.com
    K & N Engineering Inc. - www.knfilters.com
    Fuel Cel - www.eti-fuelcel.com
    Hot Bodies Racing - www.hotbodiesracing.com
    Engineered Racing Products - www.engineeredracingproducts.com
    Race Tech - www.race-tech.com
    HyperCycle - www.hypercycle.com
    Suzuki - www.suzuki.com
    Dunlop - www.dunloptire.com
    WSMC - www.race-wsmc.com
    Performance Unlimited - www.kellybakers.com
    Puig Screens - www.cyclescreens.com
    Graeber Engineering and Consulting
    Graeber Family Daycare

Since I will be racing this coming weekend in Las Vegas with WERA WEST, look for another one of these in a week or so. I am very interested in racing with another club and at another track, or tracks. Next month will be California Speedway, and hopefully some of you will be able to come out and see the new WERA WEST series first hand.

Thank you all for reading and supporting my racing endeavors.

Marcel
    WSMC & WERA WEST #767