1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race Leathers-Better tight or loose fit?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sleeping Psycho, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Sleeping Psycho

Sleeping Psycho Well-Known Member

Leathers too tight restrict movement and can be uncomfortable. Too loose and the armor may shift and not protect you. Anyone know the the performance and crash charactersitics of tight vs. loose fitting leathers? Assuming confort and movement are not at issue, better tight or loose fitting leathers?

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I'd rather they be a little tight and stretch to comfort, than start a little loose and slide up your arm/leg when you hit the asphalt.

3. eboos

eboos Slowski

I prefer my leathers to be tight without being restrictive.

4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Easier to have Spiderchic or Barnicle Bill take them (a little big) in a bit than to live with a tight/uncomforable suit.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  5. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

If you have a tight suit taken in a bit you'll look (and feel) like an overstuffed sausage casing. :D

6. 418

418 Expert #59

IMHO, I've found that leathers need to be tight.

Loose = leathers will "catch and pull" and eill be prone to make you tumble during a crash.

Tight = leathers will skid and you will be more prone to slide along when you crash.

I'd rather slide than tumble.

Saying that my leathers are a little loose due to the general fit.

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

:D I got that covered.

8. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

+1
    exactly.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Snug but not tight.

10. superbikestore

superbikestore Well-Known Member

If it's a new suit, if you can get it zipped you are good to go. They all stretch out. If you take a new one that is uncomfortably tight, it will be snug and comfy by the time it breaks in. If it's comfy out of the box, it will be too loose when it breaks in.

11. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

i like mine fairly loose. tight ones hurt my shoulder and hip and shit. i've crashed in my fairly loose suit and i don't feel that it hindered my protection but i can see the argument on the side of being tight. for me, even a tight t-shirt is uncomfortable for my shoulder and tight pants are uncomfortable for my hip. it depends tho b/c i am pretty short but burly build like thick so even though the suit is "loose" it isn't loose around my thighs and arms and stuff...

12. 2SickRacing

2SickRacing Well-Known Member

Get one tight enough so u have a man camel toe lol

13. PhiliDad

PhiliDad Well-Known Member

And loose suite made my butt look flat :down:

Actually, "look flatTER" :crackup:

14. Randal03r1

Randal03r1 Well-Known Member

Exactly, My Alpinestar was new when I went to Barber. After 2 days in the 90s the suit loosened up a bit. 6 track days later it was perfect.

15. Sleeping Psycho

Sleeping Psycho Well-Known Member

Fits snug everywhere except the chest is real tight with an alpine Stars back protector in there with me. Any idea how much stretch in the chest?

16. nunukii

nunukii Well-Known Member

toe

that's toooo funny

17. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

LMAO!

18. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

Camel-balls.

19. light 3

light 3 the bot

tight bitches. tight.

20. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

You want it tight. Tumbles can move armor around in a loose suit, not a good thing. Unless you use a separate armor vest/jacket underneath.

I had some luck stretching out a few overly tight areas by leaving the suit in the sun for a bit, then stuffing some shirts in the lower arms to stretch them out. Do a little at a time, for I don't think you can un-stretch it.

Now that I think about it, I soaked a pair of loose gloves once to get them to shrink a bit.