1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

race classes qustion

Discussion in 'General' started by lizzzi, Dec 5, 2008.

1. lizzzi

lizzzi Well-Known Member

I used to race lightweight and it was a pretty lightly filled class back in 2006. Now, I have a 600 and have been a bit "shy" of the classes for that bike (due to the amount of racers in it). Any suggestions or advice on the different 600 classes???

Lizzy

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just go race.

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Grid up last and enjoy the view of the carnage. If i ever decided to run a 600 at my age I'd start from pit out LOL

4. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

run with the 750s

5. lizzzi

lizzzi Well-Known Member

May I should just do as you say and grid last and then pit in after the first lap??? LOL

6. matd

matd This aint no party.

And the 1000s.

Being new myself, I have noticed that the SB classes are not as hotly contested as the SS... Less "carnage".

7. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

It's really not as bad as some people make it out to be.
    The 600 classes have alot of entries, but then you're sure to have someone to race with.

8. matd

matd This aint no party.

Yup. If you are alone out there, you aren't racing anyone. My third race ever, I got into a race-long, knock-down, drag-out battle for not last at Nelson Ledges. It was awesome! Thanks for the memory Matt Bloom!

9. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I disagree. I raced a 600 as a novice for (3) race events, and I could't stand the heat as it were. I wasn't the fastest guy, but I was top-15 or so, and even though that kept me in front of the carnage to a certain extent, it was still beyond my risk threshold as an old guy.

At the Barber regional that year, 3 different times in the same race multiple guys collided in front of me and crashed, causing 2 red flags. After that race I sold the R6 and went twins racing.

If I had it to do over, I would have only raced it in the 750 and 1000 classes.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dave, how many times do we have to tell you that you're not normal?

11. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

+1:up:

12. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

How old are you Dave, 75 or something? :Poke::D

(speaking as someone who raced in 600 classes in my 40's and still there in my 50's - as an expert, but its still close quarters at times, which is what makes it fun)

13. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

Next to Nitro pills or a difbulator, the 600 class is Joe's only way of getting his heart rate up. And considering that back in Joe's day, motorcycle racing was a few guys on board tracks, Joe's not so bad for a 600 guy.

:D

Run the SBK classes, not the SS classes. If you are over 40, run the Senior classes (heavy or middle).

I think Dave IS 75...... in dog years....

14. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

I was midpack this year in my first year of racing, the 600 class was the biggest grid, so i stuck to alot of A and B class races... if you dont mind alot of people around, the 600 class wasnt too bad. Just alot of crashes. The bigger bikes werent any faster IMO at the novice level. Not in the top 8-20 position range anyway

15. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

:crackup:

16. There tend to be more crashes in "C" class, but it's also very exciting. My experience is that if you don't ride like an idtio, likelihood of crashing is pretty low, even when things are crowded. The nice thing about the crowd is that you'll always have someone(s) to race, regardless of your pace.

I agree with a couple of other posters - get out there and try it. Grid in the back, and see how it goes. If you're fast, you'll finish near the front even if you start in the back. If your laptimes make you a mid-pack racer, you'll finish mid-pack even if you start last (or first). If you're slow, you'll be killed :p

Whatever you do, there are certain people you need to watch out for. The most vicious bar-bangin' paint-scrapin' line-stealin' squid I ever raced was a guy named Tom Hughey. If you see him gridding up, just pack your stuff and leave for the day.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The only reason there are more crashes in C is more riders, I don't see a huge per capita increase in any of the classes.

18. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Hey now, you're gonna give people the wrong impression.

I'm not vicious.

19. Nice guys finish last. Have you ever finished last? Neither have I.

I rest my case. ;)

20. CephasGT

CephasGT Track Day Dreamer

How much difference is there in pace between the SS and SB classes?