1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race bodywork mounting grommets

Discussion in 'Tech' started by backho, Feb 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. backho

backho Well-Known Member

What’s the preferred mounting grommets with metal insert bushing for M5 and M6 bolts?

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Well nuts?

What's the bike?

3. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

I think it depends where and what you are mounting. I use well nuts to secure my windscreen onto the fairing.

For the actual fairing to the bike/frame I use the oem brackets and hardware. In 1 spot I fabricated a piece of sheet metal to help hold the belly pan up and next to the frame.

gapman789 likes this.
  4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

H
    Hell, i've tapped the frame for an L bracket to hold the upper fairing on a GSXR . Those white derlin inserts for race bodywork just don't cut it half the time.

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I usually try to make a bracket with a dzus fastener instead of bolting fairings directly to something. The fiberglass lasts longer and it makes it easier/faster to remove the bodywork. This works for the lower fairing most of the time. I don’t care that much for the front fender and just bolt it directly.

6. Gerry Gentry

Gerry Gentry Well-Known Member

Take a look at McMaster and search for well nuts. Size can be a problem but you can use a few wraps of electrical tape to make the O.D. a little larger. We use the 6mm for mounting fairings on our GSXR 600's (2006 & 2008) in the frame and other locations.

https://www.mcmaster.com/well-nut-inserts