1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race bike insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by joehayes101, Nov 16, 2004.

1. joehayes101

joehayes101 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if it is possible to get just theft insurace (and maybe fire) on a race bike? My insurance agent claims I cannot insure my bike without getting the full insurace, registation, etc - i.e., I can't just add it to my homeowners.

2. Your agent is FOS. I haev fire and theft on mine through State Farm, a whopping $26/ yr.

3. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I have no idea, but your avatar is awesome!! :D

4. Shingle Monkey

Shingle Monkey Schuck, Schuck

I second that....state farm

5. joehayes101

joehayes101 Well-Known Member

Cool
    thanks all

6. You owe me a beer and at least a shot for that info.

7. F4Scott

F4Scott Step out of the car

If State Farm finds out that it is a "Racebike" they will cancel your insurance. I tried to get them to issue a similar policy on my Priller Cup bike. Of course I don't have a title for it since it is not, and never was, street legal. I tried to get them to insure it as an "off-road" vehicle. We took pictures, filled out an app and it got promtly rejected. I spoke with the underwriter and asked them how it was any different from insuring Bubba's 4 wheeler that he used for hunting and getting drunk. The reply was the "intended use" of the vehicle. Bunch of shit if you want to know the truth.
    One interesting note I did learn was that in State Farm's motorcycle policy they don't exclude racing. I asked him point blank that if I were to race my streetbike, which I DO have insured through State Farm, and I was to total it DURING a race that they would pay the claim. He said they would pay that claim and then promptly cancel the policy. What a bunch of dumb-asses.
    I hate insurance companies. :mad: :mad:

Scott P.

8. Shingle Monkey

Dude get a new agent....state farm agents around here are a dime a dozen.....

My agent kicks ass....I do have title's for all my bikes tough.

9. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

how do you guys get this insurence so cheap???

i was paqying $1200 a year for liability for a 98 ZX6E.

When i called to cancel the policy i asked about getting the 6RR insured for theft, they told me to get insurence on the bike i must have it regestered(its got a clean title), and that that would be $3980(or something close) a year, because i am only able to get liability plus comprehensive to cover for theft, see than asked would i like the $XXX dollars deducted automatically from my bank account to start the policy today? I responded with a HELL NO!!! I am sorry almost 4000 to them for insurence, i would be better off just saying Fuck It if someone steals it(i paid $4600)

how do you get it so cheap, i would love to have it insured, but not for th same amount i paid for it.

10. Shingle Monkey

Its just like a storage insurance....it does not allow you to ride the bike on the street at all. It just protects from theft and fire.

11. scotth

scotth Banned

I'd like the name and number of your state farm agent. I've been to every agent in town (state farm, allstate, etc.) and they all say the same thing - motor vehicles (including 4-wheelers) are not, will not, and cannot be covered under a homeowner's policy. if it's in the garage and a tree falls on the garage crushing it? too bad. as a bundle of parts in the garage and there's a fire? too bad. if it's in any way associated with a motorized vehicle, they will not cover it. period. the contents portion of the policy does not cover anything with an engine. the state farm agent was the most adamant about this.

again, so sayeth the agents here. please forward me your agent's info so I can call them.

as far as comp. on the race bike? nope, because a) I told them it was a race bike, vin or no vin, and b) I can get a new agent and lie, but it's missing anything that looks even vaguely like street equipment (like, uh, lights), and I'm told they all require an inspection. lack of lights will cause it to fail an inspection. he also said the van's insurance would not pay for contents of the van were the van to be stolen...that's the homeowner's contents purpose.

again, all I want for the bike is theft while in the van and comp. while in the garage. if I wad it on the track, it's on me.

so...who is your agent? you're in florida, too. cool. did your homeowner's just skyrocket like mine?

12. Shingle Monkey

ITs not thur your homeowners policy its a vehicle policy....26.00 is the same that I pay too for a 04 gsxr 1000 race bike...:Poke:

13. scotth

scotth Banned

how'd you get around the inspection? do they know it's a race bike?

14. Shingle Monkey

We dont have inspections here in Indiana, you want insurance on a vehicle you call your agent and give them the VIN and send them a check...your golden.

Yes she knows its a race bike and that it is covered for just theft and fire anywhere....

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

how old are you again? if i remember correctly, you're pretty young. that and any tickets or claims on your record along with insuring a sportbike make for a VERY expensive insurance premium.
    just to make you feel worse, my SuperHawk was $25 per month full coverage and my V-star 1100 cruiser was $27 and has dropped to $25. :D but i'm 30 now, and have paid my $270 per month car insurance bills when i was younger.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  16. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

yep i'm 19, though, almost completely clean record(one minor moving violation, not speeding)that comes off in march though WOOOHOOO.
    my bigger point was they will only insure it for liability and comprehnsive as if a normal street bike. I would like to know which company, and what coverage, also, can i get just it insured, my truck is through my parents(they still have the title, but that needs to change here quickly!!!!), and i get a pretty good deal, so its not moving.

i think i may be calling on insurence the next break i get, combine truck, race bike, and look into new street bike or maybe a car instead of this gas hog of a truck:Puke:

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

your rates probably aren't going to drop till you hit 21, and even more so, 25.
    i would get your truck off your parents policy if you can. it will eliminate the chance of them getting sued for an accident you may get in.

BTW, i have state farm and had asked about fire and theft before i got my new R6 last spring. they said they will not cover it if it is a race bike.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  18. F4Scott

Shingle,

It was not my agent. They were doing everything they could to get me insured. They share a building with the company I work for. We are very close to them. They have LOTS of reasons to keep me happy. I spoke with the actual person at State Farm that does the underwriting. The difference lies in the fact that you have valid VIN and probably a title for your bike. Nothing like that existed for my bike, so we had to do the pictures and such. I'm telling you right now, if something happens to your bike they WILL pay the claim. As soon as they find out it is a "race" bike they WILL cancel your policy. Just keep paying your premiums and keep your mouth shut.

Scott P.

19. charles

charles The Transporter

a few years back ,fellas, there was in fact a company insuring racebikes for racing purposes, including tools and accessories...
    I believe they advertise (if still doing business) in Cycle News.
    Good Luck.
    Charles

20. F4Scott

You are probably thinking of Ace Insurance. I checked with them, they are more suited to a full-time race team rather than the weekend warrior Privateer. I think their minimum value of coverage was something like $60,000. Premium was right at $1000 per year for anything $60,000 and under. Not bad if you have $60,000 worth of stuff. Kind of expensive if you have maybe $10,000 or $15,000 worth.

Scott P.