1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race Bike Insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by CafeRacer, Apr 2, 2015.

1. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Well-Known Member

Hey guys - We rent our home and have been looking into covering the racing bikes against theft, fire, etc. (NOT against damage done while using them).

My insurance company doesn't quite know how to do this. They've refused to cover them under my renters policy (like my bicycles are) because they have a motor.

What do you all do? Anything?

2. caferace

caferace No.

People insure off road vehicles against non-usage stuff, right? Your racebike is essentially an off-road vehicle.

-jim

3. caferace

caferace No.

Are you calling it a race bike? I would avoid that term. Track day bike or something like that might work better. They get jittery fast.

-jim

4. I have Comprehensive (State Farm) on all my race bikes. That covers stuff like theft, fire, falling out of the trailer, etc.

5. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I just tried all the major companies a few weeks ago (including state farm). They specifically ask if it will be used in competition. As soon as you say yes, they say no, even if you only want theft coverage.

I have not found a solution. I may call and ask about inland marine policies, I read that in previous threads.

Since I have not raced this bike yet, it's currently covered as a track bike, but they said as soon as I race it the policy is cancelled. I need to find a solution before round 1

6. All of my race bikes are initially titled/registered and have full coverage like street bikes (and I ride them on the street for a few weeks or months). Then I race prep them and call SF and tell them to drop the liability and collision coverage off of them. All they ask is if there is a lien on them and when I say no, they drop collision.

But several times I have told them it will be a track/race bike only (won't see public roads) and just want to keep Comp in case they are stolen or something and they have no problem with that.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  7. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

8. Dude. The new one is off limits to you. I will be able to tell if it shows up with bad JuJu.

9. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

You can try contacting these guys http://stoneridgespecialty.ca. They insure my race bikes and they know full well what they are. I don't know if they'll do any US policies but it's worth a shot.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

11. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

This is exactly how I do it. Have been for years and just added a bike recently.

12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I'm speaking with a company now who covers race cars about developing a motorcycle product... I'll let everyone know what he outcome is

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Shouldn't be that difficult to get one of the bottom feeders to take your cash.

14. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Any news?

15. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I always just kept full coverage on mine. It was $10-15 a month so it was so cheap I didn't bother telling them it was a race bike and all that. It gave me peace of mind against it getting stolen or whatever.

16. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

couldn't you just lie and say it's not used for competition (e.g. - it's a track day bike with number plates)? they'll never know you're racing since any claim made would be while the bike is at the house/in transit.

17. notbostrom

just put regular insurance on it and take the lowest Liability they offer decline all other coverages. I just did a quick quote on a 2012 GSXR and it was $10.34 per month

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

I have a clean license...My Grom fully covered..is $375 a year

19. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

That's crazy. My Grom is $160 a year.

20. notbostrom

get a new insurance company:D