1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 throttle mod

Discussion in 'Tech' started by some guy #2, Jul 11, 2009.

1. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I put a R6 throttle on my gsxr and after loosening the pulling throttle cable the throttle is very hard to pull and will not snap back closed.

Can I make adjustments at the pulley (the manual seems to say no) because the adjuster near the grip isn't working like I think it should.

Do I need to grease the clip on under the throttle?

2. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

You need to loosen up the push cable. I actually took my push cable off because it was doing the same thing. It isn't a great idea, but I haven't had time to put it back on and properly adjust it.

3. some guy #2

So after adjusting both cables, if I have one cable out the bracket that holds the lock nut everything works fine. I need one of my throttle cables to be about 1/2" longer. Can I buy a longer throttle cable?

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

you don`t need a new cable. i put r6 tube on my gsxr, took me 10 mins and no issues. you did something wrong, go back and redo it

5. Steve Z

Steve Z Active Member

^^ ditto. Get back into it and study it for a few minutes. Figure out how the cable system works and you should be able to fix it in no time. Shouldn't be a super hard mod to do. Good luck!

6. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

What year is your 1000?

7. some guy #2

it's a 2007

moved both lock nuts behind the engine tab (instead of one on either side) and had enough room to adjust it correctly.

8. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

I just did this mod too...and I have zero slack in the cable but it does snap back unless i tighten the cable at all.

Also I measured the turn of the stock throttle before removing it. The white paint on the kill switch housing shows the distance the stock throttle travelled.
    (the r6 throttle is installed and closed in this pic)
    [​IMG]

then this is the R6 throttle wfo...the white dots almost line up the same as the stock throttle:
    [​IMG]

Am i missing something? Is it WFO before it hits the stops? I havent ridden it yet...

9. some guy #2

I am able to fine adjust the throttle (adjuster near clip on) but the coarse engine adjustment had to be on the loosest setting.

I haven't ridden far with this mod and you make me wonder if it will help since bigger cam=more slack=stock throttle twist??

10. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

Hmmm I'll ride around a little this afternoon. Ill look for the other adjustment to set it on the loosest setting. Im not sure where that is.

11. wendellcrain

wendellcrain Well-Known Member

What year R6 tube did you buy? Or what Yamaha part number? Not all R6 tubes will give you a shorter throw.

12. some guy #2

i used an 06-09 R6 tube (I hope). I don't have the part numbe ron hand anymore but the cam is definitely bigger than the stock but it may just be 1/5th and not 1/6th.

13. wendellcrain

wendellcrain Well-Known Member

I used (and have used) 5SL-26240-01-00 from the R6 and 4YR-26240-02-00 from the R1. The R6 would be the smaller diameter and the R1 would be the larger. With the R1 tube on my GSXR-K4, I had to loosen the adjustment nuts all the way at the throttle body side. Even then, I needed to use a utility knife to remove a little material to get the cable to reach. It makes for a very touchy throttle!

I think you want the one from the 2003-04. I got the wrong one from the dealer and it was no different than the stock tube.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  14. 1madmnky

1madmnky Active Member

2004 R1 1/5 turn
    2006 R6 1/6 turn

You probably got a different year throttle tube.

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

+1

This thread is confusing, first of all when asking for help how about sharing the yr/make/model so we know exactly what you're working on. The same thing with the part in question, what yr throttle tube is it?

I just did this mod in the past month on my '06 GSXR750, I used an '06+ R6 throttle tube which is a 1/6 turn. On MY conversion, I had to remove some plastic stock from the inside of the bottom housing to make room for the larger cam to turn freely......w/out doing this, the throttle would barely turn, if at all, when everything is clamped down tight.

I'll be doing this mod shortly to my '05 GSXR1000, hands down one of the best mods Ive ever done, I cant believe ppl are paying big money for some of the fancier conversion kits out there. :D

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009