1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Starting Issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tittys04, May 23, 2013.

1. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

Silly ECU ... looking for TDC before running.

2. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

And you're right... I've read I don't know how many threads because of this issue and it never sank in because I didn't have the bike at that time. Anyways... thanks for providing the solution (years ago :crackup:)

3. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Have you guys seen the latest Megacycle catalog? They have a new R6 grind. 200 deg. duration, 5mm lift. The notes simply say "rock solid idle."

4. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

What about a sluggish turn over with a fully charged battery? Starter sounds like it's not turning over as fast as normal.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Battery load tested? 13 volts does not mean cranking amps are adequate.

6. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Ok here's the down low.

ECU's don't like low voltage. Period. Unplug the battery while your laptop is running off it, what happens??? Dead. Yeah.

During cranking battery voltage can drop precipitously (fast) while the starter will continue to operate and draw current from the battery, holding its battery voltage low, the ignition system will continue to operate (in group fire mode, injectors still in crank/simultaneous mode = big duration), the ECU resets because of low voltage (like 4 volts in some cases). The ECU does monitor the start wire, it knows when you hit the button, this is a FI compensation: low voltage = slow injectors and the ECU will increase duration.

Bike fires, we let off the start button. ECU still thinks it has low voltage - shit stalls.

Hold the button. Starter got the engine going. One-way clutch allows engine to spin faster than the starter, starter current is decreased, battery voltage raises, ECU sees starter still engaged (even though it is not doing anything) and updates voltage. ECU works.

Everyone happy now?

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  7. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Oh sorry, I forgot it was the cams, on an internal combustion engine that revs past 15k and is sold at a dealerships with a warranty, that idles at 1500. Yep. definitely the cams. Got those in my 69 C30 Chevy, lopes at idle but make shit tons of power at 6k when it floats the valves. At least my ass dyno says so. Maybe I need a 8" stall so my launch rpm will be 5k. That will fix it.

Hate to poke fun, but active throttle bodies, and FI really made cam/carb issues a thing of the happily forgotten past. Fueling is no longer dedicated by air movement.

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

some heavy stuff.. still trying to digest :)