1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Painless Front Wheel Change

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JMileika, Feb 9, 2024.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Or buy pre-drilled titanium bolts.

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Sure or buy 15 bucks worth of drill bits and fror what its worth what does 4 Ti pre drilled bolts cost?

3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Or, Whats an extra $70 on a $26k RSV4 Factory Limited Edition ?

trust me, ive drilled plenty of bolts since ‘94. But since i started rocking RSV4’s in ‘17, i buy pre drilled bolts.

Gino230, BrentA and Wheel Bearing like this.
  4. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Besides, you can never have enough titanium. Using them is way faster than even rim tape.

5. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Pre drilled bolts are the way to go...and this is from a R6 owner. lol!

My logic: I use the bolts for X amount of years/seasons...they're super clean, more options for safety wiring...and I keep the stock bolts. If I sell the bike? Put stock ones back on and sell it. If the old bolts won't work with my new bike? Sell them for $5-10 cheaper than they are new. So I got to use the bolts for however many seasons for $5-10...no brainer.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Yeah, yeah, yeah, bark, bark, bark, and you guys buy all that titanium then bitch about tires prices :D

7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Those R6 caliper bolts were prob the hardest material I've ever drilled for wire.

If you race with a club that doesn't allow clips, you just get really good/fast at wiring things. With how long front tires last, it's a once or twice a day process which really isn't that bad. You should also remember to finish front tire swaps during low-stress times of the day, like at the end of the prev day.

An electric ratchet is another good way to save time on front tire changes.

8. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Not to hijack the thread but I see spacers there. I run those calipers on my k8 600 at your suggestion (and love them) but I don't run a spacer. Is there a reason why you do?

9. JMileika

JMileika 6'5'' Goon

Admin, can we kick this guy for hijacking the thread. smh

10. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Damn, fucking brutal brother. :Poke: Figured it was cool since you already had your answer. Wait until the LaCrosse guys get a hold of this thread. :crackup:

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the spacers are for when you run bigger diameter rotors.

lopitt85 likes this.
  12. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I go to the track by myself alot, and even when I don't I am really not comfortable with other people changing my front wheel- I've seen it all.

Quick change setups aren't cheap, but they really make it tremendously easy, and IMO safer. You don't even have to buy the fancy axle, you can still use the existing axle and pinch bolts, but the proper setup of caliper and fender bracket is great to have. Bevel the pads with a file and magnets epoxied into the pistons to hold the pads in place is really nice too.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  13. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

This. After two R6 endurance bikes. This is the best way.

14. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The quick change setup makes it idiot proof honestly. There's very little opportunity to mess something up. Like on the the rear wheel. Having the magnets in the caliper to pull the pads back is a life saver after about the third time you jammed the wheel in there with the pads near touching. Did I mention that rim his hot AF too :D