1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 front axle question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Jerry999999999, Mar 2, 2021.

1. I have a 2006 R6. I bought an extra set of rims thinking surely they will fit, wrong! The axle bolt is ah hair too big for the new rims. So my thinking is, all I need to do is find the axle bolt that fits the new wheel and I'll just swap the bolt when I swap wheels.

So my first question is, will that work or am I an idiot? My second question is, if that will work does anyone know the year model they changed the size of the axle?

2. forgot to mention the rear fits fine, the front is what I'm having problems with.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

youre doing something wrong... rotors are thinner on 06-07 so youll need to seat calipers

4. gonriding

gonriding Well-Known Member

I’m not familiar with the r6, but I bet if everything but the axle works, the right size bearings could be found.

5. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

This. --^

6. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I'm confused by this. The R6 front axle bolt screws into the internal threads of the axle shaft. What exactly is too big?

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the bearings in the "new" wheel (year/gen unknown) are too small ID for the 2006 axle.

Methinks that a swap to 2006 wheel bearings and spacer will quickly yield satisfactory results.

8. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

So the axle is too big. Now that makes sense.

9. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

pscook is saying that it's likely someone installed the wrong (or perhaps a non-oem) bearings (or dust/dirt cover) in the "used" front rim. 2006-2016 should all be the same thing (IIRC).

pscook likes this.
  10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

We need a pic of what doesn't fit

tophyr likes this.
  11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I believe that range goes back to 2nd gen, 03 to 16 should al bee the same, other than differences in rotor thickness/OD but the actual rotor mounts are the same. I don't know if 1st gen (02 and earlier, 3 spoke instead of 5 spoke) swap over or not.

TurboBlew likes this.
  12. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Josh, you're correct. I limited my response to 2006 because of OP's bike. I still use 2 sets of rims from my 2003 for rains and inters on my 2008 (just swapped in the '08 rotors). If I remember correctly, the 2002 and earlier (three spoke) do not swap.

13. Sorry I've been out of pocket a few days. To add a little more clarification to this, the axle fits the wheel bearings, however the axle is too big for the internal spacer thingy inside the rim. "Internal spacer thingy" is the best description I can come up with on that thing. The aluminum tube thing inside the front rim. I'm not sure the year model of the rim, but its a newer OEM rim.

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, the bearing spacer inside the wheel is a smaller ID than the bearings?!

15. Bearing spacer sounds a lot more correct than what I called it lol. Yes the axle is just a bit too big for it. Fits the bears fine, but not the spacer. Thats why I was curious if the new model wheels were different.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Something doesn't add up, if the bearing spacer is a smaller ID than the bearings... how would any axle work in that setup? Something fucky in wheel-ville.

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Maybe the previous bike had captive spacers with a smaller axle? Might not be "R6" configuration, it might be from a custom application.

18. That’s why I came to the experts for answers. I can’t understand why this is a problem. Anyone want to buy a front R6 rim.

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

pop a bearing out and get rid of the sleeve.

Jerry999999999 likes this.
  20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Are you sure the sleeve isn't jammed off-center?