1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Fork Chrome Wearing

Discussion in 'Tech' started by some guy #2, Sep 3, 2014.

1. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I have a 2008 R6 and one of the fork tubes (the chrome one) has some wear. It's not pitted or scratched it just the chrome is worn away. I was told this is common on R6's.

I called RG3 coatings about DLC but I wanted to know what all the options are. The wear spot is near the top of the exposed chrome so the seals are constantly rubbing against it. No leaks but if I'm going to do a service I'd rather knock everything out.

Anybody ever recoat their forks or find a good aftermarket supplier?

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The lower bushing is worn as well, this is what has caused the chrome to wear away in one spot (in the front). With a new stanchion priced around $225, and a used one less than half of that, I wonder how economical it will be for you to get the work done if you can find someone in the US to do it. I've never done it.

When you do solve it, try rotating your forks a quarter turn several times a year to even out the bushing wear.

4. metricdevilmoto

+1 to that. Especially on the R6 legs. I index them for that reason.

5. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Wow. So this thing really is a pile :)

The race tech chrome option looks cheap enough to do the job. Plenty of time to scour ebay for a low mileage set of forks. Since I just need the chrome part is any year good to use or does it need to be 08+?

Can you buy OEM bushings? Looking at the parts fiche it looks like part 13S-23110-01-00 is the entire tube+the cast bottom piece??

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  6. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

7. metricdevilmoto

I could see an argument for it not being an OEM fork coating. Maybe not like DLC or TiN3, but a non OEM coating nonetheless. However, unless someone knew, the chances it would be an issue are slim to none.

But I don't make the rules.

8. metricdevilmoto

08+ tubes are longer than the 06-07 tubes. However, they are interchangeable. There's enough room with the upper bushing that the shorter tube doesn't make a difference.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Great idea, thank you for sharing.

10. vince224

vince224 Well-Known Member

fwiw, i've had worn tubes coated (TiN) by surface solutions in MN. excellent service and pricing. quality was good, not Ohlins-level. some add'l polishing will placate the very picky.

everyone thinks i have ohlins forks now. and the stiction is always excellent (i.e. very low).

hth,
    vince
    :D