1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r6 crank no start

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Gre8one7, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Gre8one7

Gre8one7 Well-Known Member

Ok lets get this started. I wrecked my bike(08 r6r) last year and had some serious damage(forks broke). It was on stands for a full year, i did start it up here and there and let it run for a bit. I finally got the bike back together and rideable and decided i was gonna run it down the street. I took the bike off the stands and made it about 5 feet when the engine started sputtering. I shut it off, put it back on the stands and now it wont run at all. I did notice though that when trying to start the fuel light is on, but it has a full tank of gas. Fuel pump possibly?

2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Does it throw any codes? Possibly a tip over switch loose

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

did it have ethanol blended pump gas in the tank during storage ? race gas? (if so what kind). I would raise the tank, disconnect the fuel line from pump, slide a hose on to the pump, then use the key to prime the gas into a small bucket to see how the pump is working. An inline fuel psi gauge would be better. But drain that old gas and mix little by little in your car and start with fresh gas in the bike

4. No, pour it in a 55 gallon drum, light Roman candle and pretent you are joe dirt

5. MELK-MAN

well.. that would be exciting !

6. Gre8one7

disconnected the fuel line, turned the key...nothing came out. It had regular 93 pump gas which here in iowa does have a little ethanol in it. Pump ordered...ill see if this fixes it.

7. MELK-MAN

i would just be careful to ensure it's not running lean once you put a good working pump on the bike. If the pump was clogged/stuck from the ethanol, some of the injectors may be as well.. And put fresh gas in it. drain the old as discussed above.

8. Gre8one7

the gas should be relatively new. Like i said i started the bike every week or so and let it run for 5-10 minutes.

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

There's a relay for the pump....

MELK-MAN likes this.
  10. Gre8one7

pump primed.

Replaced the pump today. I had fuel pressure. It acted like it wanted to start but wouldnt. I removed the bazzaz system and now it just cranks. Im getting codes 33-36(coils open)

11. Gre8one7

ok got it running...kind of. Coil problem was a loose plug. Now it sounds like an SV and doesnt run well.

Also i found a black 4 prong connector by the right/rear side of the air box, i cant see anything to plug into it. Should there be something?

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

It's been a few years, but I remember a 4 prong connector that wasn't used. My son's bike was already a racebike, so maybe that is for blinkers or tail lights?

May need to replace all the plugs, but wouldn't be surprised if you have a dirty injector, Melk-man above has a company that cleans them.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. Gre8one7

Yea i did a little research on r6 dirty injectors and melka showed up...just like anything r6 related lol. I need the bike this weekend or i would go that route. Ill try some more stuff tomorrow in hopes i get it.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  14. Gre8one7

changed plugs , ran a little seafoam through it and changed gas for the 3rd time. Running much much better. Probably try and reinstall the bazzaz crap tomorrow if i find the extra time.

15. MELK-MAN

sure hope ya don't melt a cylinder if it's running a bit lean... good luck.