1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 suspension Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by Team Speedy Gonzales, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Team Speedy Gonzales

Team Speedy Gonzales Active Member

I will be racing a bone stock R1 this weekend at Texas World Speedyway. (I know I know)

We tested this bike once last Monday and the stock suspension leaves something to be desired, and the factory settings were worse. I know it needs rear ride hieght to finish turns off, however this shock is non-adjustable.

I called Traxxion and they only had some basic baseline settings since they do not ever deal with stock settings. I have not seen any setting recommendations yet. I know Sportrider has some suggestions somewhere.

I know *someone* out there has to have old setting written down somewhere of the stock stuff. Any ideas would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Frank
    [email protected]

2. huffdaddy

huffdaddy Well-Known Member

balance the ft to the rear the best you can. both ends should come up and go down the same speed when you bounce on the seat (have a friend watch). to hard on either is bad better to be soft and balanced than the other. rear ride non adjustable on the rear so that is easy. drop the fork clamps 5mm (let ft of the bike down) and ride it . if it turns in good then you are there and not dragging anything is a plus. if it turns to sharp to the inside then go up some with the bike. Or get a shock and fork work done then go ride. But if you got to go then the ft. is all you go to play with. Pre load the ft. fork springs and rear spring so it moves together when you bounce on the seat. most likely it will be soft on the ft. and rear.

3. Team Speedy Gonzales

Thank you for the post.

My understanding is you want the rear to rebound just a bit faster then the front.

I tried to drop the forks in the triples and it felt worse.

Any # of clicks on comp and rebound you would recommend?

Thanks,

Frank

4. Hendo

Hendo V Card Puncher

You should probably start from the beginning by putting your forks back at stock position, set your front and rear compression and rebound to halfway and adjusting your static sag (you so this by adjusting your preload). Once you have everything at a happy medium try it out and make adjustments to your compression and rebound. I was advised that a good standard static sag to start with is 35mm front and 25mm rear. Hope this helps some. If you need to know how to measure and adjust your static sag just give a holler, 404-234-6513, it will be easier to explain it to you over the phone that typing it all out.

5. john ross

john ross Well-Known Member

hey speedy contact greg abbott he ran a stock suspension on
    the r-1 and the r-6 in 99...
    he might be under a tree drinking a beer these days. ha

6. huffdaddy

huffdaddy Well-Known Member

felt worse as in how? turn in hard? mid turn wiggle? runs wide on exit? both ends need to work togeher and not fight each other. what tires are you running? the sag on the ft should be around 30 -35 with you on the bike @20 mm of this should be with the bike on the ground off the stands. to get this you will most likely need fork springs. to set the rebound faster on the rear is more rider preferance and what the bike is doing. I like a even working bike. rear sag is around 30 mm with 8-10mm free sag as for the click numbers each shock and fork package can be a little differan and you need to work with what you have and not others. i have watched some good rider kick some real butt on stock yahama's I think he is still the all time yahama money winner.

7. Team Speedy Gonzales

Thanks Ross!!

I have not talked to Abbott in over a year, and I cannot find his #. If someone knows how to contact Greg, please email me: [email protected]. That is a great idea, that was impressive he could win Championships on stock stuff.

Dropping the forks made it fall into corners and drag stuff. Too twitchy.

Frank