1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1/R6 Calipers on GSXR - Which Brake Lines

Discussion in 'Tech' started by WERA_864, Sep 25, 2009.

1. WERA_864

WERA_864 Well-Known Member

I assume with this swap I should buy R1 or R6 brake lines since my GSXR 750K8 banjo bolts are on the back while the R1/R6 are on the side?

2. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I had spegiler's on my bike before I did the caliper swap and I just used the same ones with the R1 calipers.

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

When I did this conversion I switched to the R6 brake lines. You need to or you'll put a strain n them.

4. 418

418 Expert #59

What's wrong with GSX-R brakes? :confused:

*stir, stir*

:D

5. WERA_864

In my case the lever gets mushy at the track, and also if I just let them sit for a while.

So what year R6 lines seem to be the correct length swap for the 06-09 GSXR?

6. Longhair

Longhair Old Foole

Why not just get the R1 Brembo MC, and then get R1 lines?

7. WERA_864

Ive already got a Brembo RCS.

The issue is the length of the lines. Too short and they wont reach, too long and they are awkwardly bent and can cause interference issues.

8. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Dude that's the exact set up I have on my 07 GSXR 750 (Brembo RCS / R1 calipers) and I'm running the same Speigler lines that I had when I still had the OEM m/c and calipers. You'll be fine there's more than enough slack in the lines.

BTW that set up is amazing, with the vesrah RJL's I've been running I've never been more confident in my brakes.

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

The ride lines are the ones from the same year R6/R1 as the calipers. 05-09 for the R6.

And if you are running the same lines as with the GSXR calipers with the Rx calipers you are putting a nice strain on the line down at the caliper mount. There is a reason why the lines are made for each bike.

10. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Why would there be a strain down at the claliper? Unless there was some sort of twisting force I'm missing at the banjo. What exactly is the difference in the banjos from the GSXR lines to the R1 lines?

I'm honestly interested here because if there's something wrong I gotta fix it, but I really don't see anything wrong at all.

Edit: the only problem I ran into was that the line didn't want to run back through the little holder on the fender.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  11. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Actually now that I think about it there is a little curve in the banjo on the R1 lines that positions it a little better (kind of a tight radius turn on the right side), but this "strain" is hardly a cause for concern. But, I suppose if you're in the market for lines anyways, get R1 specific otherwise put the GSXR's back on and call it a day.

12. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

There is a twist difference at the banjo...the lines should just naturally fall into their position. When I did the conversion I would have to twist the line and have that twist held with the banjo bolt on the caliper.

13. WERA_864

Exactly, the GSXR caliper the banjo mounts on the back, while the R1/R6 it mounts on the side, so there will be a 90 degree bend if you use the GSXR lines.

Thx for the reply, 05-09 R6 lines it is.

Knock on wood this solves the issue for good.

14. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

The Speiglers I'm running actually have the ability to rotate the banjo around so that they line up correctly.

The problem I encountered involved the stop that the banjo butts up against to pervent the banjo from rotating while tightening up the bolt. It forced the line to lay a little flatter then ideal, making the line take a steeper turn up to the m/c. I'm thinking that the R1 lines have a kink in the banjo making the upward turn more gradual.

15. WERA_864

Ahh, you are probably ok then.

Those speiglers sound pretty sweet - can you reference which lines they are and where to get them?

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

What's the issue? Lever getting squishy?

17. Longhair

Longhair Old Foole

http://www.spieglerusa.com/

They will make up anything that you want.

18. gixologist

gixologist Well-Known Member

Spiegler lines and banjo bolts

I'm in the process of doing the same R6 caliper conversion on a gsxr. In addition to the calipers, I also got a used R6 OEM Brembo master clylinder.

Two questions:

What banjo bolt thread pitch do the R6 calipers and OEM Yamaha Brembo master use? Brembos are usually M10x1.0, correct? Does this apply to the OEM R6 master cyl as well? How about the thread pitch on the R6 calipers?

Also, how can I adjust the ends of the Spiegler lines if needed? I bought them used and didn't get the holding tool. Can I clamp them in aluminum vice jaws and just turn the banjo as needed?

Thanks.

19. WERA_864

Yep, the lever gets squishy at the track, and if I just let the bike sit for a day or two.

I think the pistons pull back into the calipers for some reason creating slack.

Bleeding them seems to tighten them up, but only temporarily.

Setting the RCS to 19x20 lessened the issue but caused my index finger to cramp and lock up.

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

If it gets squishy after letting it sit for a day or two it makes me wonder if you are getting air in the system or something else wrong with it.

Did you use new crush washer when you put the current lines on and then the master cylinder?

Anyhow I don't know but it makes me think something else is up.