1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quickshifter interference from R6 coils

Discussion in 'Tech' started by stangmx13, May 9, 2016.

1. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

i have the worst luck with quickshifters. for some reason they never just work out of the box and break sooner than id like. heres my new issue on a freshly installed QS, ran for 1 trackday.

my QS works great at low rpm and shifts smooth. but once im shifting at redline, it takes a TON of pressure on the lever to get it to shift. its almost as if i have to HOLD the pressure to get it to go. the bike doesnt buck/jerk and it never fails to shift, its just very hard especially since i run STD shift. the bike also shifts very well using the clutch and all the linkages are at 90deg.

so today i broke out a spring scale and my voltmeter to test when the sensor actually activates. 17-19lbs of force on the lever activates the sensor. the Bazzaz strain gauge QS on my CBR activates at 18-20lbs of force and that bike shifted amazingly last time i rode it. so all that seems good. this has gotta be a software or EM issue, right?

im running the FTECU setup w/ their branded sensor (Translogic) with harness #7 which plugs into the programming port. i havent touched the default kill times yet. they all ramp up at higher RPM which is not what ive seen with my Bazzaz (constant for all rpm). like i said above, the bike isnt jerking. could this be causing an issue?

in the FTECU FAQ, they mention that the R6 coils are notorious for producing RF interference. the bike is relatively new, 2015 with <7k miles and it runs great. is there some fancy cable routing that can reduce this? has anyone ever ran ferrite cores/beads (those little cylinders on USB cables) on their QS cables to prevent this from happening? any other suggestions?

thnx in advance for the help.

2. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

My kill times are all the same over the rpm range. The kill times vary per gear though. I'm on an r6. No issues with mine.

3. stangmx13

Ya I was wondering about the non constant kill times. Def changing that before next time out

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I would recommend that you increase kill times until you get a noticeable lag, then back them down a little at a time. It sounds like the kill times are too short.

5. stangmx13

IIRC the kill times for the upper RPMs between 4-5 and 5-6 are 80-90ms which is why i suspect something else is wrong. ive never heard or anyone running more than 50-60ms for the high gear shifts. but obviously even the ability to adjust it based on rpm is new to me so i wont be surprised when im wrong.

6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Are you positive the NO/NC is set correctly?

7. stangmx13

im 90% sure the flash is set to NO. the sensor has infinite resistance at rest. FTs update server is down now so i cant even open the software to double check, ugh.

8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I had a similar issue this last weekend - had to damn near stand on my shifter in order to get to shift going down the straight. Issue was caused by too much play/vibration in the shift linkage. If the linkage vibrates too much, it'll jitter the sensor with high-frequency signal and your actual foot pressure gets lost in the noise. I tightened up the linkage and it shifted like butter every time afterward.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

not much to add, other than why are you shifting the r6 at redline ?

10. stangmx13

with the inaccurate tach, im really just guessing where im actually shifting, haha. i havent dyno'd the bike yet so ill figure out proper shift points and see if i can set the shift light after i get a look at the torque curve.

updates:
    - ive confirmed the flash is set to NO
    - the delays were reasonable 80-70-60-50-40 til 8k then all increased to 90ms at 14&15k. ive made them all constant using 80-70-60-50-40. im sure ill have to adjust them a little.
    - i bought a ferrite choke to reduce an RF interference in the QS line. ill prob run at least one session without it to see if its necessary
    - ive moved the shift rods around. see below

racing at Buttonwillow this weekend so hopefully this all works out. not having a working QS around that track prob cost me 0.5s a lap in last time i was there.

interesting. this might be part of my issues.

i just reconfigured the shift rods. the kit i was sent has 2 rods because of the larger rod end at the lever. i had the sensor in between them. i had one connection bottomed out because of no locknut. so there might have been some looseness there. ive since put the sensor at the top and just tightened/locktite'd the 2 rods together. silly of me not to do this in the first place.

11. stangmx13

spent the weekend at Buttonwillow and got in a lot of testing on this. heres my update:

started out the weekend with the kill times constant across all rpm and a ferrite choke with the cable through it 3x. shifting still worked great <9k rpm but wouldnt shift at all above that. steadily adjusted the kill times >9k rpm up to 100ms over a few sessions and the shifting started working and then got better. but it still seemed like there was a big delay or something.

then i started reducing the effect of the ferrite choke by looping the cable through it fewer times. shifting was faster and more responsive. then i took it off and shifting was the better still, but it seems to not work at all a tiny bit more frequently. perhaps i need a "smaller" choke to find a balance between no choke and the wire once through.

its not perfect yet. a few times shifting from 2nd to 3rd while leaned over in a right hander, id pull on the lever and the ignition would cut but i wasnt pulling hard enough to get it into 3rd. i might adjust the activation delay to help that next time out. a few other times i would get no cut, which might be solved by a less effective choke. its still not perfect but at least it works.

so to summarize: trophy's solution was the ticket, make sure there is zero looseness in the shiftrod. FTs base map was pretty close and maybe a bit short. and ferrite chokes might not be necessary