1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick ? for anyone mechanically inclined

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Rusnak_322, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

I was given a bike to put back together for a friend.
    The thing was taken apart for some unknown reason.
    It is a Suzuki GS500 – I thing it is a 2000 or 2001.
    The battery was dead, I put it on the charger and now all it does is click (I think at the relay for the starter solenoid on the subframe). I don’t have another battery, and I am totally useless with a voltage tester.
    Any ideas other then a bad battery? The bike ran before it was dismantled – the owner has had it since new.
    All the fuses are good.
    Thanks for the help –
    Eddie

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I have a GS too. You could hookup jumper cables from the GS battery to another battery. You could even hook it to a car battery (as long as the car is OFF). A GS is easy to bump start in 2nd gear, or those starting rollers would work.

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Go to the starter solenoid, and cross over the two posts with a screwdriver. If the bike cranks, problem is solenoid. If not, the problem is either with the battery or with the brushes in the starter motor.

4. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

Can you turn the motor over by hand? Maybe the starter works fine.

5. zrx479

zrx479 Well-Known Member

You do realize that letting a battery sit dead for any length of time "like more than a week or two" will generally kill it?

All of the other suggestions are good, but why ignore the obvious?

6. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

Thanks for the help.
    It was the battery.
    The reason that I was looking for other answers, because it was Friday and I don’t have internet access at home and wanted to get it running this weekend. I had similar problems with a Ducati Monster that took for ever to track down – I even bought a non returnable $50 solenoid and it turned out to be a stupid relay with the kickstand cutout thing.

I hate electrical crap.

Eddie

7. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

Is that Justin's bike?

8. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

yep,

all I need is a headlight and it is back on the road.

he bought a Honda RS125 - wonder who put that thought into his head? :D