1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick access gun safe?

Discussion in 'General' started by Greenhound386, May 11, 2021.

1. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

For someone that doesn't post frequently, this is 2 threads in 24 hours!

I'm absolutely sure this has been covered a dozen times, but I'll be damned if I can find the info using the search function. The search says 'gun' is too common or too short and was excluded from the search results, and my monkey brain can't think of additional wording to get the results I am looking for. Went through the main gun thread, but that thing is longer than the Bible.

Two things that have catalyzed my question:
    • I have a toddler that's getting more curious by the day and doesn't respect boundaries, rules, and other adult-manifested ideologies.
    • I am reading a very imaginative and disturbing Dean Koontz book that makes me feel like I'd rather have a loaded gun readily available versus keeping the gun locked up and separated from ammo.
    I'm not savvy on safe brands. The cheap options on Amazon make me nervous, and I've grown more suspicious of positive reviews after a few recent purchases and getting poorly manufactured garbage.

What are some reputable brands to look for? Should I go biometric or a traditional mechanical lock?

Feel free to link a thread since I am sure this has already been covered. In my case, it will be used for a small revolver and nothing else, so something small is good. I'm going to order by end of day, and a positive personal review is pretty much all I need to pull the trigger on one (pun totally intended).

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Quick Access

Gun Safe

Mutually exclusive...

SuddenBraking likes this.
  3. Greenhound386

What I meant is a 'Rape and Murder Prevention Vestibule for Firearms'.

tiggen likes this.
  4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

5. Greenhound386

6. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I keep one of these in the nightstand drawer. https://stopboxusa.com/

I like it being as simple as possible but enough to keep the two year old out of it. The teens could figure it out but they shoot and know the combo to the real safe anyway. There is only a gun in it while I’m sleeping.

JBall likes this.
  7. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

I like the look of that stopbox.

8. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Greenhound386 likes this.
  9. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Anything similar like this for a shotgun?

10. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

DSC_0268.gif

Just disguise it:D

11. Greenhound386

Hmm. Interesting option. I'm basically trying to do the same thing with an almost 3 year old. With only 6 possible combinations, the security aspect is largely hinged on a toddler's lack of fine motor skills. Adding it to the list and will be buying something tonight. Thanks!

12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

[​IMG]

Also if you're good with drywall...you can store a shotgun or rifle almost anywhere in your house with easy access. If you can punch thru said drywall.

Boman Forklift and grasshopper like this.
  13. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I keep looking at the Vaultek slider series. They have several upgrades like bluetooth and wifi. Biometric quick access to a pistol oriented in a position so it is natural to grab.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  14. zbunny

zbunny Well-Known Member

A friend has a false back on their armoire in the bedroom and converted a wall mirror, in the hallway, to swing out to the hidden in the drywall gun safe.

My parents are “somehow” on some weird email ads and catalogs and they keep getting ads for companies making furniture with gunsafes built in.

FYI- Set a google/ outlook calendar reminder to change the batteries in the safe at the same time you change your smoke detector batteries.

15. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I can not speak highly enough of my gun box. I have 2 of them.

Biometeric and I have tested it with several people and it will only open for my finger or my wife's. It's RFID, so you can get quick access via a few different methods. And the new ones have bluetooth capability.

Looks sleek and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb on the bedside table. Has USB ports for my phone charger and tablet chargers.

My only complaint....is the blue LED light on the front is FUCKING BRIGHT!!! So bright, it lights up our bedroom at night, so I had to put a small piece of black tape over the light.

Check'um out. www.thegunbox.com

16. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I don't think I understand the issue. Is the child in your room with you at night? When you are in bed, the gun is in/on the nightstand and when you leave the room, it goes with you. Why would you need to have a locked box for it?
    I have a revolver that lives in my bedside stand and if the grandkids are over it goes way or with me. I don't want to have to fumble around to get a gun out if I need it.

17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Thats why we dont have any trucks...they used all the CEL lights to make gun boxes....:D

18. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

Greenhound386 likes this.
  19. Greenhound386

The kid is not in our room at night. The revolver will live in the bedside stand. I don't have a CCW (California, man). Although, I heard the county I just moved to makes it a little easier. Regardless, at this point in time, I'm looking for a solution where the gun can stay in the bedside stand pretty much permanently and be protected if Greenhound Jr gets nosy. At the present time, the gun is locked up and stored separate from the ammo. It's useless in a time-sensitive home defense situation, and that's what I am trying to remedy.

If a psychopath like Edgler Vess breaks into the house (that's a reference to the Dean Koontz book cited above for you bibliophiles), then it's easily accessed and ready to use.

20. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Hornady rapid. Or get one of the floating concealment shelves from Tactical Walls. Honestly I thingk the Tactical Walls floating shelf is a lot faster to get access to.