1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions..

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by sprockett, Sep 3, 2001.

1. sprockett

sprockett Member

Questions... Questions...Questions... I'm a race fan wanting to get started in road racing. I have had a very limited experience in motorcross when I was young. I also spent a few years wrenching on a top alcohol dragster and funny car. Now in my second childhood I want to get back into some type of racing. All summer I went to different forms of racing, drag (car& bike), SCCA, and dirt. They were enjoyable but they wre not really my thing. The racers were just ok, but NOT really friendly.

However, this weekend I went to a WERA event at Nelson Ledges. I know... the armpit of road racing tracks, but it's in my backyard. I met some fantastic people who were extremely friendly and helpful, even to a want-a-be racer like me. I think they are the greatest group of people one can meet. I would like to thank, Jason form Serpent racing, Tony from Emerge racing, and many of the other racers who took time out of their busy race weekend to talk with be about the basics of racing.

I had a great weekend, but left with my head spinning. I don't know what direction to turn. I want to road race but I have a very limited budget, (thanks to an ex-wife...but that's another story), and limited riding experience. After talking with Tony I'm enterested in the GP125 class, and particulary with a RS125, (1993-1994 model). However, I'm 6" and 185 pounds, would I be too big to ride in the 125 class. Additionally, I plan on attending a race school at the beginning of next season. Can anyone give me additional advise and direction on how to begin? Once again I would like to thank the racers for their hospitality and helpfulness this weekend.

2. slobro220

slobro220 Member

sprockett 125 is the way to go.cost is cheap compaired to other bikes,budget,ect.they are fun to race and will no doub't make you a better rider.the 125 guys are a great bunch of guys and gals.93-94 rs is a good bike to start on or tz 125.your size will not matter i am 6'1 175lbs.the main thing to do is get as much seat time as possible it will pay off. good luck, slobro

3. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

I have the PERFECT bike for you, but I think I have a buyer at NPR in Louisiana in a few weeks. It's a '95 TZ125. The TZs are easier for a big guy to fold up on. I'm 6'0" and 190, myself. This bike is a blast to ride and will run with ANY '93-'94 RS, but I want a later model RS. The bike is very easy to tune, maintenance is simple and straight forward. Even sticking a crank in this thing is simple. The 125s are made to maintain and nothing will teach you more about racing. Corner speed is the fastest in road racing, brakes are awesome, they're built to race and for no other function, the real thing.

I think you might want a TZ for your first ride. They are cheaper to get into, they're easy to tune and reliable, and they're a little more roomy for a big guy to fold up on than an RS. The '93-94 RSs are a little hard on pipes and have some other issues from what I've read, the TZ is reliable as a steet bike so long as you keep the crank and top end maintained and jet it properly, which is easy, don't listen to the street bike riders. Also, i love the dry clutch, easy to replace plates, don't even have to take off the cover. Nothing say trick to a bystander like a dry clutch, he, he. I'm only asking $2500 for my TZ. What I've seen around with RSs, you're looking at more. I've seen other TZs in the same price range, some more, but they usually have a few more spares than I've got.

Jack

[This message has been edited by Jack (edited 09-03-2001).]

4. sprockett

sprockett Member

Thanks, Slobro220 and Jack for your advise on the 125 class. However, I have a dilemma on what to run. In my first post I forgot to mention that I have a 1989 FZR600 sitting in my garage. At the end of last year I was excited about racing and bought a ex-race bike, (FZR600), from a local speed shop. The bike has a fresh motor, and 1mm over, and Fox shock. But all of the goodies were parted out and bike was put back to street condition. The problem is that it will realistically cost at least $1,800 to put it back into race condition, rear sets, glass, side cases, exhaust, etc. Even if I do all of this I can only run vintage class and my bike still would not be very competative. I know that as a rider I won't be competitive. I just want to make it around the track and keep the right side up.

The dilemma is do I go with a GP125 bike or work with the FZR? I mostly want to go out and have fun and get as much track time as possible and learn..learn...learn!
    The bottom line is Fun Factor VS. Cost? Would a GP125 be as much fun as a FZR600?

Jack I will definitely keep your TZ125 in mind if I go with a 125. Would it be possible for you to E-mail me photos of the bike. Do you know how and what it would cost to ship the bike up to be on the North Coast, I live about an hour away from Cleveland, Ohio. Thank again everyone!

[This message has been edited by sprockett (edited 09-04-2001).]

5. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

Maybe, if it were a built cheater FZR400 framed with newer suspension and light weight wheels.

The 600 isn't going to be competitive in any class (vintage?).

The TZ125 will, depending on rider.

Spending $1800 on a FZR600 is not sane.

If you do go with the FZR, I have a friend with a FZR600 racer that you could talk to. He hasn’t raced it in a few years, but has all the go fast stuff. He might sell it for dirt cheap, plus he lives close to you.

[This message has been edited by Rusnak_322 (edited 09-04-2001).]

6. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

sell or part out the Fizzer and buy a racepreped GS/EX500 if you wanna just race, or a TZ/RS125 if you want to race and tinker.

James

7. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

The 95 model RS125 and up would be my choice. It has a better chassis and mid range than the pre 95 models. I am 5'11 @ 175 and won 2 Regional Championships. The guy I sold my last 125 is about 6'3 and probably more than 185.

Chuck D

8. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

Just my opinion but if you ride a 125 that is in good shape you will have a for sale sign on the FZR real fast. A 125 Grand Prix bike is the most fun you can have riding a motorcycle. It can due unreal things and will make you a really good rider. If you know of anyone that has a 125 ask if you can ride it on a track day. If not just get one. I promise you will not regret it.

I think that the TZ is the best bike for someone learning. I have a 97 and it is a great bike. Easy to tune and get parts for. They have alot of room(for a 125) and when built and tuned right they can run with a +95 Honda no problem. The suspension is great. For the bang for the buck go Yamaha. You may want to sell it in 2 years and get a Honda or you may just want to have fun and be content. Hope this helps.

Bill Cole
    WERA#72

9. cedestech

cedestech Well-Known Member

125 Racing is a HOOT!
    YSR racing is the ONLY thing cheaper.

Emmett.

10. gpwannabe

gpwannabe Well-Known Member

I came off an 89 FZR racing in C and B(1998) and went to a 96 RS125. It is definitly the way to go. "F" the FZR and buy a 95 or newer Honda or whatever TZ the Yamaha guys receommend. I'm like 5'11'' and 189lbs. Once you git going, you forget all about being folded up. Aside from the crank, the things are a breeze to work on(yes they need more work). Smiles from ear to ear, low squid content and plenty o' races to enter!

11. cincykid

cincykid Well-Known Member

I've got a '95 rs125 for sale with all spares, but dont consider it unless you plan on racing more than once or twice, they are addicting. I raced a gsxr 600 for 2 years and sold it after one spin on the track on a 125 and bought it from my friend the very next weekend. e-mail me if you want any info on it. Good Luck!!!!

12. bacron

bacron Member

uh oh - now the buzzards are circling...

I also have a 95 for sale. Check out http://www.best.com/~bacon/RS125_For_Sale.html for more info

Regardless of my shameful spam : in your post you mention leaning towards a pre-95 RS, I think based upon your size you'd be a lot more comfortable on a 95+ RS or a TZ - plus the pre-95s vibrate a lot more and this leads to a higher rate of hardware failures
    -Steve

13. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I have a pair of TZ125's, one 1994 and one 1995, for sale if interested. Lots of spares included. E mail me at [email protected] for more info.

14. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

GP bikes are a lot of work. A lightweight bike like an FZR or SV would be a nice place ot start and develope your skill. No tuning and all that, you can concentrate on developing. I got an FZR400 for sale,

details at www.roadracing-direct.com

15. sprockett

sprockett Member

Sorry, your a few weeks too late. I got a good deal on a TZ125. There may be a few disadvantages learning on a TZ125 over a FZR400. But my heart is with the 2 cycles,when I was young I raced MX. However, your points are well taken on the FZR400. I have a FZR600 that I could use for track days. Thanks!