1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions of a different sort.......

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 50Joe, May 30, 2002.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Question 1: Philosophically speaking, what do you sacrifice in order to be able to race?
    Question 2: If you could have just one racing related wish granted and it could not be more money or another bike, what would it be?

2. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

1. Time, and lots of it!

2. Return of the "RZ Cup" :D

Seriously though, to be able to break a lap record would be sweet!

3. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

RZ records

Does anybody know what the fastest ever RZ lap at Daytona was? In '95, Tommy Annis and Kevin Brown were battling in the 2:12's. That's the best I've personally seen, but having said that, there are a lot of fast RZ guys I never saw anyone put a watch on...

4. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

1. I couldn't say anything is truly "sacrificed". I don't have as much time to program, work with computer based media generators, record music or any other interests but they just don't rate as highly as racing and building bikes.

2. The ability to tune suspension. (I hope the question wasn't for a one time event type of thing)

Last edited: May 30, 2002
  5. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

My answers would be:
    1. Time to do other things in life, but since I love bikes and racing so much I am willing to live with it.
    2. To have it NEVER rain on a practice / race day.

6. RZ Racer

I only went there twice, once in '97 and once in '98. Don't really like the place, but would go again if someone else was paying the bills. My best was a 2:15. Brian Surtees, Rich Bolen and Todd Roman(all MRA riders) all have put in better times, but I don't know how fast they went.(Gary probably knows, he went well there too) If you're interested in other tracks,
    Road A(old) 1:35, (new) 1:39
    TGPR(old) 1:02, (new) 1:06
    RRR 1:19
    CMP1:46(I think, I don't have that one written down)
    VIR 1:41
    Summit 1:27

Most of my best times were posted in 97-99 when I used to chase Frank Strohman around on his fast ex. The last two seasons before I sold the rz, my times were off by 1-2 sec.

7. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Yours is the fastest RZ time I know of for RRR. I don't know how fast Yates went back in '92- all I know is that the next best guy was doing around 1:24's and not even getting close.

8. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

Well...

Philosophically speaking, it's not a sacrifice because it is what I want to do.

I will give-up or forgo many many things in order to race.

9. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Let's see, I've pretty much given up most other hobbies because they cannot coexist with racing, i.e. I can't afford both. But that's OK, racing is more fun than all that crap anyway. Although I would like to buy a few new firearms but they keep turning into race tires on me. :)

As for my wish, since I can't have an ocean of money or a new bike, I'd wish for a new F550 Power Stroke 6-speed 4x4 with a tow bed, transfer flow in-bed fuel tank, and some other goodies on it. And that tow rig would be hooked to a 40-52' gooseneck race trailer with a diesel generator, air compressor, two or three air conditioners, full living quarters for six to eight people, and room for six or eight (or more) bikes.

Then I'd load my sorry-looking race bike in it and at least be able to travel and camp in comfort and luxury. It won't make me any faster, but it will make those July trips to Road Atlanta more fun. :)
    And when I can afford more bikes, I'll have a place to put them. Or maybe I could go Endurance racing and give AOD a clear identifier of the back of the pack. :)

10. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

1. In real terms, The old homestead is in disrepair, however, I may not have everything I want but I have everything I need.

2. My wish was granted long ago when I first got the chance to race.

11. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

One interesting observation I discussed one day with a colleague is the continued increase in service type businesses. My take on this is that for the majority of the population there are no longer needs, just wants. I don't NEED much in life. I proved this to myself back in '91 when I travelled around the USA on a GPZ550. 8000 miles in 28 days proved to me that you don't need very much to have a happy, healthy life. On the other hand, having some the luxuries that life in the USA makes possible is rather nice.

12. RZ Racer

Thanks for the props. It's actually one of my proudest accomplishments. It wasn't a fluke, one lap deal either, in '97 I was in the "teens" everytime I went there. In '98, I did it a couple times. Ever since though, the best I've been able to was low 20's and 21's. for sure, the track has gotten worse, but I blame the increase more on motivation. Running in clubman, d-super and lw twins, the rz is a serious underdog. In '99, I got tired of being constantly waxed by built ex's, fzr's, hawks and the new sv's and switched my focus to vintage where the rz is pretty much top dog in the classes i run. Actually being able to motor my competition on the straights made me a slower rider though it won me quite a few championships. Last year, when I started running the rd full time, I found that I would ride the snot out of the rd and was having a lot more fun on it than on the rz. Especially whenever I got the opertunity to run against Stan. That's what prompted me to finally get rid of it after racing the same bike for 8 yrs. I'm looking forward to my new ride. I hope I can have some fast guys to chase on it this year so I can have the same kind of fun I had on the frd 350 last year.

13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Yea, right Mark. We'll still be chasing you. ;)

14. evilhordewannabe

evilhordewannabe Well-Known Member

My main wish would be to be able to keep up with the fast guys in F-500.....maybe some day?

15. rob264

rob264 Member

I WISH I HAD MY CYLINDERS ,HEADS AND CARBS BACK FROM A CERTAIN RD GUY WHO SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS I FIGURED IF I SENT THEM LAST OCT. THEYD BE READY BY NOW :mad: