1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question re painting an Arai helmet

Discussion in 'General' started by Linker48X, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Can one of you painter guys who knows, let me know if there is something special I should do about painting the plastic on my new white Corsair X?--specifically the side plates behind the shield, and the top front center vent? I want a simple, traditional red and white design, that paints these red, but masking around those leaves too little of the red color of the design, and my local painter says he wants to avoid them because he is concerned he will harm them. Basically want to paint all the top center vent, and about half the side plates. Is there a better paint or technique for this? Or is he right, and we should leave these alone?

2. caferace

caferace No.

The top vent is held on with double sided tape. The side plates just come off. No masking required.

-jim

3. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

the tape is very thin, its called tesa tape.

4. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Order a replacement vent and side plate and test on those first. Theoretically its shouldnt affect them, but you never know. I've painted plastic with automotive paint before with no issue.

5. JustaNobody

JustaNobody Well-Known Member

Zero issues

6. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Scuff everything with 400
    Make sure the top vent is open as you will basically paint it in place.
    The side pieces and vent are already painted so a scuff and repaint won't be a problem.
    Paint the whole helmet white (just to freshen the color), do all of your taping that you want to keep white and paint the red. untape and clear.

7. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Thanks, appreciate your expert advice. So you are saying, no problems with the plastics from the paint-- just scuff it up and shoot, right?

8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

The plastic should be perfectly fine, people pain helmets all the time just look at airtrix etc, just make sure you don't get paint on the foam inside that's where the problems will accrue.

9. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

My dad painted my corsair V with some single shot a few years back and I haven't noticed any problems. He just scuffed it up and shot.