1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on points for National Challenge

Discussion in 'General' started by Turbo storm, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

I was reading through the rules for points on the National Challenge series. Below is a clip from the rulebook;

6. WERA divides the country into geographic areas. Within each area a series of sprint races are held. The Sportsman/Vintage Regional Class Champion will be the racer with the highest point accumulation in their class at the end of the season in each region. The Sportsman National Class Champion shall be the rider who wins his/her class at the Grand National Final. The Vintage National Champion will be the rider with the highest point accumulation in their class at the end of the year taking their 6 best finishes at any Vintage round throughout the year and adding it to their finsh at the GNF which will count for double points.

So if I interpret this correctly, it does not matter how many points you accumulate during the year, just win the GNF and you are National Champion. Please tell me I'm wrong. If this is true, what is the point of getting points?
    Maybe the beeb can shed some light on this for me. I'm slow in more ways than one.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You score points during the year for a regional championship. GNF is a national championship.

3. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

National Challenge and Sportsman are 2 different things.

4. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

For sportsman, the GNF is a stand-alone event. the way i understand it is you are correct concerning the national challenge series. but you can dnf at the gnf and still win a regional championship

5. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

national points are to get you a good grid at the GNF basically to answer your question... I think. GNF is all or nothing on a national champ tough. Regional champ is decided before the GNF ever starts I think

6. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

what he said^

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay - I'll start with the series themselves since they're all different.

WERA/Pirelli Sportsman Series is broken into regions - each region has a points championship. Those regional championships are determined solely by points earned during the season. Sportsman Series also has a National Championship - this is determined in a winner take all race at the GNF for each class. It's essentially the Olympics for WERA. You work in a region to get the invite to the GNF and then the best rider that day gets the National Championship for that Sportsman class. Invites are based on standing coming into the GNF. Regional championships are already wrapped up except WERA West which has a final round following the GNF.

WERA/Michelin National Challenge Series - Pro/Am racing that is purely a points championship. The final round of this series happens to be at the GNF but it's still just another points race.

WERA National Endurance Series - same deal as above.

WERA National Vintage Series - we have regional Vintage championships that are done exactly like the rest of the Sportsman Series but the National Championship is done differently. For a National Championship your top 5 results from ANY race no matter what region are combined with your results from the GNF (which is a double points round for Vintage only) to determine the champions.

8. Turbo storm

Ok, that cleared it up for me.

Thanks to all for your help. I'm getting old, and percieve things in a strange way.

9. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

top 5 or top 6 results (going into the GNF)?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Eh, hell if I know anymore, whatever the rulebook says is what the points program does :D

11. Turbo storm

My original post #1 was cut and paste directly from the rulebook. To answer your question I would say the magic number is 6 Good luck with your title quest!

Sean,
    Maybe the rulebook for next year needs to be ammended to reflect your actual wording above for the National Challenge points to eliminate confusion. Many others I spoke with this past weekend at Miller, and other venues, are under the same impression that the National Challenge points mean nothing, and it all boils down to your finish at the GNF.

Either way, I understand now, and thank you for clearing things up for me.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Would have helped had you included number 5 directly above what you quoted -

5. The WERA NATIONAL CHALLENGE SERIES shall consist of approximately ten events at tracks across the country. The ten events will feature a points accumulating Championship Series for the WERA Superbike (Expert Only), Formula 2 (Expert and Novice), Open, 750 and 600cc Superstock (Expert & Novice), 600 & 750 Superbike (Expert & Novice), Lightweight Twins SS (Expert & Novice), Womens Superstock (Expert & Novice) and WERA National Endurance Series. The final National Challenge Series Championship event will be held at the Grand National Final. Only riders who have participated in at least one WERA National Challenge Series event in the current season will be eligible to run at the Grand National Final. Participation in WERA Sportsman Classes may also be available on WERA National Challenge Series weekends (see the WERA yearly schedule for more information).

They are listed separately because they are two different series.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

BTW - number 7 describes yet another series we run - 7. A group of long-distance races each lasting from four (4) to twenty-four (24) hours held at tracks across the country is designated the WERA National Endurance Series, which is described in detail in Chapter 10.